News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger running poorly - things to look for please

Started by ChazzyB, February 22, 2011, 06:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "ChazzyB"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Please be sure to double back to my post on battery.  It was overtaken while I was writing it... :lol:

Worryingly, battery at 13V (as reported by TuneECU, slightly higher on meter), reading current map has timed out twice now at 34%, TuneECU then appears to reconnect to the ECU (flashing red at bottom right, then amber, green). I have been having TuneECU loose connection quite frequently. Ideas? (Apart from "Burn it, it's a witch")

Have you took the fuses out for the headlights? It drains the voltage pretty quick I have found if they are on.

I find the headlight switch is quite effective. ;-)
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

ChazzyB

I'm still having problems reading the tune from the ECU without it timing out at some point. I'm not going to try loading a tune until I can reliably read one out of it. I'd be interested to know what settings other people's USB COM port have got.

I'm also concerned that TuneECU is now reporting my ECU serial number as all FFFF... It didn't use to do that!
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

Did you raise the baud rate as advised in the Tune ECU sticky? I did and I too have some reading problems.  I'll try dropping it again and see if that's the problem.  I'll get my setrtings written down at the same time.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ChazzyB

I did and tried other things too - still time getting timeouts. I may have been fiddled with too many things at once to be scientific. I'll reset the port to defaults and wind the baud rate up to 115200 and see what happens.

What do you make of my ECU serial showing all FFFF's? Looks like some memory has been set to all high values.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Timbox2

Quote from: "Timbox2"Have you took the fuses out for the headlights? It drains the voltage pretty quick I have found if they are on.

Quote from: "ChazzyB"I find the headlight switch is quite effective. ;-)

Ahh yes, I dont have one of those, mores the pity.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "ChazzyB"I did and tried other things too - still time getting timeouts. I may have been fiddled with too many things at once to be scientific. I'll reset the port to defaults and wind the baud rate up to 115200 and see what happens.

What do you make of my ECU serial showing all FFFF's? Looks like some memory has been set to all high values.

I think your ECU it totally corrupted and needs a full tune blowing in.  I've contacted Tom, and Alain from TuneECU about the connectivity issues, they're nothing to do with your bike, it's something in the latest software as the older verions didn't do it.  unfortunately I didn't keep any older versions when I upgraded.

If it's any help, I blew in the new Triumph tune before I went to the Harley show yesterday and although TuneECU kept dropping out when reading earlier, writing was fine and it went in first try.  Your decision though.  you can download the latest Triumph Tune (date Nov 10) from TuneECU.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "ChazzyB"I did and tried other things too - still time getting timeouts. I may have been fiddled with too many things at once to be scientific. I'll reset the port to defaults and wind the baud rate up to 115200 and see what happens.

I think your ECU it totally corrupted and needs a full tune blowing in.  I've contacted Tom, and Alain from TuneECU about the connectivity issues, they're nothing to do with your bike, it's something in the latest software as the older verions didn't do it.  unfortunately I didn't keep any older versions when I upgraded.

If it's any help, I blew in the new Triumph tune before I went to the Harley show yesterday and although TuneECU kept dropping out when reading earlier, writing was fine and it went in first try.  Your decision though.  you can download the latest Triumph Tune (date Nov 10) from TuneECU.

Ive kept a couple of the earlier versions, 1.6.99b and 1.7.8c if anybody wants em.
2016 Tiger Sport

ChazzyB

I've got a couple of earlier versions archived too. I'll unzip one and give it a try. I certainly read a tune from an ECU or two sometime mid-last year, though it may have been from the Speed Triple I also had at the time.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

ChazzyB

I had the battery on charge all night. This morning, TuneECU reported 13.0V, and correctly reported the serial number and VIN! These had been all FFFF and 'VIN missing' for several days. I read the tune out of it three or four times in a row.

I put the battery back on charge and went away for an hour. When I came back, I was back to square one - serial number all FFFF, missing VIN and unable to retrieve a tune or history without timing out. Grrrr.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

ChazzyB

... a fuel injector O-ring completely missing. Allegedly

I gave up and prostrated my wallet in front of the local dealer. They found it - eventually - after a false claim of success yesterday.

The injectors hadn't been out during my three years of ownership. Hmmm.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

So is it running alright now Chas?

And how right is right??  I'm always looking for cures for lumpy bottom end.  A missing or leaky fuel injector "o" ring is not one I've come across before, but would let enough air in to upset the running.  And it's a fairly easy fix ?I think (where's the Haynes.... :roll: )

Edit:   :BangHead

I've just remembered, years ago I had an old Volvo 740 estate that developed a slight but regular misfire at tickover which dissapeared when the revs picked up.  I changed all the obvious electrical stuff with no avail and eventually took it to an eletrical diagnostic expert.  He found a slight air leak on one cyclinder inlet manifold gasket.  Cheap fix.  Symptoms are similar here, I just didn't make the connection.  As I said: :BangHead

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"So is it running alright now Chas?

And how right is right??  I'm always looking for cures for lumpy bottom end.  A missing or leaky fuel injector "o" ring is not one I've come across before, but would let enough air in to upset the running.  And it's a fairly easy fix ?I think (where's the Haynes.... :roll: )

Edit:   :BangHead

Seems to be running fine, now. Prolly better at low RPM/slight throttle opening than before. First diagnosis was throttle bodies out of sync and "we've synced them now". "Eh?" said I. "How do they go out of sync between parking up, having a cuppa and trying to go home?" Anyway, their test ride put paid to that idea. Oh well, live and learn. Four hours labour and one O-ring was the damage. Less than I'd steeled myself for. I've bought an Aprilia Pegaso Strada as a backup bike. Blimey, it feels light and agile compared to the Tiger, but the Tiger certainly has the plusher ride.

Their first testing showed running very, very lean. Like 0.2% CO instead of 2%!!! That ties up with TuneECU showing Lambda voltage almost getting to 0V as it warmed up, possibly?
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

I've just posted on Sas's thread, the narrow band O2 sensor only outputs 3 voltages depending on what's happening:

0.1 v = lean
0.45 v = normal
0.9v = rich

Bixxer Bob

Shall have to read up on injector leaks,or just replace the O rings next time I'm in there....

ChazzyB

Another injector O-ring must have vanished, because I stopped for fuel this morning (bike having been running sweetly) and on restarting, "The Problem" was back again.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S