News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

light flicker

Started by delecti, February 18, 2011, 01:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delecti

Hi guys,
Having a problem with the lights flickering first I have had the lowbeam side light (left) short out and blow the fuse. this may or may not be the result of fitting 50w driving lights, they were on for a couple of months before it happened. this in turn burnt out the ECU power relay. so I fitted a 4 pin narva(couldnt get a hella) and the bikes lights started to flicker. I was getting battery drain over weekend and the bike wouldnt start. and the relay was getting warm have found out the 30 and 86 plug are back to front on the narva and the hella is the only one to fit this fixed the battery drain. I have ordered a r/r from ricks. any other ideas?
need help drives me up the wall.  :?
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Timbox2

I do know that you have to be careful with headlight relays, or as you say, you get battery drain. The other thing is that the charging circuit on the Girly is notoriously weak, and with a pair of 50w lights added into the equation you may be right on the limit of what the alternator/reg can handle.

Have you done the sasquatch mod to the alt/reg wiring? I would check all your connectors on the alt/reg and also put a meter on the battery and see what your getting with all your lights on, but I bet its struggling.
2016 Tiger Sport

delecti

No I don't because the system should handle that extra and given that I dont run them for more than 15-20 mins per day it shouldnt be a prob. I dont want to do the mod as I cant see the need. the system is puting 14 volts at 3500rpm which is ok. there have been some issues with the mod lately.
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

iansoady

Quote from: "delecti"there have been some issues with the mod lately.

Care to elaborate?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

delecti

I read a post in this forum recently that the guy had problems but still had the original wiring in place and was able to put it back to standard to get going. the mod for a more direct power flow to the battery so if you arent drawing more than wattage than  the system needs the rest is converted to heat in the R/R so is it necessary if you are not running a lot of accessories?
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

iansoady

I may have misunderstood what you said but it doesn't make sense to me.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

He's on about the guy from Brazil.  Did the Sasquatch mod but it blew up on him while on a road trip.  He'd left the bypassed wiring in place so simply had to replug the original loom connections up and was back in business.

Don't think it was a reflection on Saquatch's mod or the subject's ability.  Probably more of a lack of appreciation of what's needed in the way of technique.  Soldering or crimping that's not up to the job it's doing is always going to end the same way.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...