News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

rear shock spring removal

Started by BruKen, May 23, 2010, 07:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

(Sorry if this has been covered, I am having trouble using the search function)

I would like to remove and respray the spring on my rear shock and remove some rust- and laquer the shock body as a preventative measure against further rusting. However it would appear that in order to remove the spring I would also have to remove the resevoir hose. Now I only have a rudimentary knowlege of rear shocks and this one in particular. If I remove the resevoir to remove the spring is there nitrogen under pressure that would escape rendering the shock useless? I see no gas valve to replenish any lost gases. [/u]

Mustang

you are correct if you remove the hose you will lose the gas charge .....................but I can just about guarantee you that the gas charge is already gone  :shock:

it would be worthwhile to find a shop that will rebuild it or at the minimum do a gas recharge . the recharge valve is on the remote reservoir , whether it is Showa or Kayaba  doesn't matter

BruKen

Thank you Mustang. I will see if I can find a rebuilder here in the UK. It's driving me nuts, I had another look but can't see the gas valve. I am looking for something like a car tyre valve, but nothing. Out of Interest... Do you have any idea how much kpa / bar / psi pressure there should be? (I have plenty of Argon about, as it's inert and gas all exhibit the same compression characteristics, Boyle said so at least, would it be dumb to use that in the event I can not find a rebuilder?)

Mustang

it's right there on the front of the remote reservoir

BruKen

Somebody needs to slap me about the head some LOL. Mine still has a metal cap on that must obviously pry loose to expose the valve. I would not have thought it though. Thank you kindly :)

Any ideas about gas pressure and using Argon? I know it's 98% stupid idea but no harm asking.

Mustang

i got no idea on the argon or what pressure

I wouldn't think it would be much for pressure .

BruKen

Next question, how does one get that cap off without destroying it?

Mustang

what year is that rusty relic ?
That looks like a showa and I don't believe there is any way to get that cover off without destroying it

if it was a kayaba it would have the Schroeder valve already exposed
the pic of the showa on this tiger is a rebuilt one from Traxxion Dynamics

you may need to send it off to a rebuilder ..........

BruKen

Oi, don't be mean about Yapi. She is going through extensive cosmetic surgery to make her pretty again. She is a 98 model.

Thanks for the help :)

Mustang

two of mine are 98's
That is a showa shock then

they were crap when new
if you can find it in the budget I would replace it or rebuild it
the rebuilt showa on the sidecar rig is pretty sweet ............

BruKen

Thanks. In the end I will replace it. I am saving my pennies for the wheel rebuilds.

rf9rider

Firefox Racing in Bradford rebuilt my Steamer shock, £85 plus postage, happy with the service.
You can find them on Ebay.

BruKen

Bsquared

On the basis that the shock on my 96 hasn't been touched since new and therefore is shot and I am using the Tiger to commute, has anyone got any opinions on a replacement shock?

I'd prefer to get the old one rebuilt, but that will take the Tiger off the road for longer than I really want.

dave NL

Quote from: "BruKen"Thanks. In the end I will replace it. I am saving my pennies for the wheel rebuilds.

I have seen a 2001 set wheels on ebay, this will save you some money!
Getting the tiger back on the road.