News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stupidity problem with owner (mirrors)

Started by Nick Calne, March 13, 2011, 11:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

I have brought this problem squarely to my own door but I'm hoping one of you guys will know what to do.  

I purchased a set of genuine triumph mirrors on ebay and they duly arrived, I got them out of the box and they are really nice. Really, really nice in my opinion.  A good ebay.

Fitting then to the bike hasn't happened though, as the tiger has a female 10mm hole into which to screw the mirror.  Unfortunately my lovely new mirrors are 'drilled stem' and have a smaller (approx 6mm) hole too.  I should have thought about this, but triumph mirrors are triumph mirrors right? (nope, wrong!) :roll:

I tried to find some adapters online a sort of 'double ended threaded rod' but I haven't found one that fits yet.  Most available seem to be going from 10mm to 5/16" or triumph to harley as it were.  This seems to be 10mm to about 6mm.

Does anyone know what to do, can a double ended length of thread rod be manufactured or are these mirror going back on ebay?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

Double check the thread types to be sure they are what you think, and measure the lengths reqd, (a simple drawing would help) and I'll make you some in stainless steel.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

oxnsox

This sounds like a similar system to the one on the Versys (if I've understood your post correctly).
You can get adaptors at a price, or have someone spin some up for you.
(or get 10mm mirrors  :lol: )
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mustang

what Bob said .............it's the best solution.
I'd do it for ya but bob's closer

Nick Calne

Thanks guys (esp Bob, I might to take you up on your offer!) .Sorry I've been slow  on the response there has been a bit of crisis at work that needed my full attention.

Here are some photo's of the issue.

The mirrors in question...

The issue at hand

The wrong ending

I'll measure up the ends.

chairhead

Ahhhh,
i see,they are like the Bonnie mirrors that fasten from underneath,
stupid design if yo uask me :? ,
id go with what BB suggests and have some made in stainless, or something like this
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5254 ... mps/Spider
i take it you bought the mirrors because of the elongated mirror and short stem?,or is it just coz they are shiney :lol:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

Is that a badly finished shoulder Nick, or are they 10mm inserts screwed in to take 6mm???  If so you could remove them and just use a piece of 10mm bolt to join the two 10mm females together.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Quote from: "chairhead"i take it you bought the mirrors because of the elongated mirror and short stem?,or is it just coz they are shiney :lol:

:oops: Shiney.

topher0268

If you decide they're not worth the hassle I happen to know someone with an 06 Bonnie I think those would fit nicely on ..... I'm just sayin  :wink:
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)