News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bleedin Brakes

Started by Timbox2, March 15, 2011, 05:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Actually, f...... bas.... brakes. :?

Now , Im normally pretty good with brake bleeding etc, but this baby has me beat at the moment.

I had both calipers off the bike and stripped today, pistons out etc, cleaned regreased and back in as they are pretty good nick and polished up nicely with solvol autosol.

But bloody ell, Ive bled em now for about an hour with a mityvac and used close on a litre of fluid, and although Im convinced that there is no air do you think I can get a decent lever, no, the brakes are working but the levers almost at the bar.

One curious thing I noticed, I can now push the calipers with my hand and the pistons go back really easy, and yet they seem to be dragging a bit, IE not releasing from the disc as much as they should.

Ive tied the lever back with a zip tie for now and will see what its like in the morning, Ive normally had good results doing this, but we shall see.
2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

when I have problems bleeding brakes I do it similar to you by zip tie the lever back. I tend to use a syringe  for bleeding brakes, but it gives 2 options by either pulling the fluid down from the reservoir or pushing it from the nipple upto the reservoir.

I you still got no luck, let my know and I can bring over the syringe.

Timbox2

Quote from: "daveb"when I have problems bleeding brakes I do it similar to you by zip tie the lever back. I tend to use a syringe  for bleeding brakes, but it gives 2 options by either pulling the fluid down from the reservoir or pushing it from the nipple upto the reservoir.

I you still got no luck, let my know and I can bring over the syringe.

You aint coming anywhere near me with a syringe big boy :lol:

Seriously, thanks mate, Ive just been and checked after an hour on the zip tie and its better already so by the morning I reckon I'll be good to go, and stop hopefully :shock:
2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

No probs, but the offer still stands just drop me a line anytime

Timbox2

Quote from: "daveb"No probs, but the offer still stands just drop me a line anytime

Thanks mate, will do
2016 Tiger Sport

topher0268

I recently struggled with the exact same thing on a rear brake caliper rebuild on a 79 Yamaha xs1100. The ONLY thing that finally worked was time.

I bled them to what I thought was completely air free (with one of those one man bleeding tools http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-flui ... 92924.html), closed the bleeding screw with a full reservoir, then let them sit for a couple days. The trapped air found it's way out into the reservoir. Filled it back up and low and behold I had pressure.
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)

chairhead

Erm,
I know this might sound a bit daft but,i have had the same problem and this is how i cured it,
once the majority of bleeding is done i take the calipers off and turn them upside down,this free's any trapped air behind the pistons and once the caliper is the right way up the air will make its way to the highest point,
the bleed nipple......hopfully :roll:,bleed again to see how much if any air comes out,
also if the brakes seem to drag even though the pistons are nice and free check the pins that the claiper slides on,the ones in the boot,
i hope im not teaching you how to suck eggs here :wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

NeilD

have you tried bleeding at the mastercylinder connection?

Timbox2

The slider pins are fine and the boots it all moves nice and freely, how would you go about bleeding at the master cyl, theres no bleed nipples up there
2016 Tiger Sport

chairhead

Quote from: "Timbox2"how would you go about bleeding at the master cyl, theres no bleed nipples up there

Sometimes air gets trapped in the master cyl,so pump the lever a few times and hold in,then crack open the Banjo bolt(14mm spanner i think)
make sure you have some rags to catch the fluid that escapes,and that it doesnt go over the bike.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Mustang

Mighty vac ..................

fill master cyl , pump vacuum , repeat
done in like 5 minutes tops if you are slow .
Rock solid lever after .

Timbox2

Quote from: "Mustang"Mighty vac ..................

fill master cyl , pump vacuum , repeat
done in like 5 minutes tops if you are slow .
Rock solid lever after .

Thats what I use mate, but anyway, 3 hours on the ziptie seems to have done the trick but absolutely no idea why. :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Thanks everbody!!!

I was giving the Girly a pre-MOT once-over this afternoon and thought tomorrow's job will be a fluid change as the lever comes almost back to the bar.  I'm off to the garage to do the zip tie now, I'll see if it's worked in the morning. :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...