News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Floating Rotors '06 Tiger

Started by TigerTrax, March 16, 2011, 10:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"You my have 3 kinds of discs,the solid bolt directly to the wheel As per Trident 900

Discs that are connected to the carrier via a bobbin but the whole thing is solid. As per my Blackbird

And then full floaters(hence the full) which are boardering on a musical instrument,which in an ideal/financial world!! what you want,which the EBC are.  As per my Tigger
Thanks for clearing that up Chris, I'd forgotten baout the first example.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Another set of full floaters.

John Stenhouse

Thanks Chris, makes sense now  8)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

TigerTrax

Chris...
I remeber when you put those on...
seems like it was a PIA getting fitment... seems like it was calipers that were an issue.

Waht kind are they....?
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

TigerTrax

FOUND.... EBC - USA    Rotors Triumph Tiger w/ cast wheels:

I spent some time looking for these things on EBC USA site....
guess where ?
Where at Bubba..?

Right under the DIRT BIKE section. Not in street bikes. Not in ATV ( I am surprised ).  Dirt Bike:

You Kitty Whippers with 2005 - 2006 Tigers ( cast wheels ):
Front Rotors: MD676  ( no right / no left ... so pay attention )
Rear Rotor: MD643

I feel much better.

6:21pm tonight.... SPRING is OFFICIAL !!!
I smell Monument Valley comin my way !

atokad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Fully floating (dunno what you mean by semi) they do chatter a little bit as you roll to a stop sometimes, but once you've experienced it once it's no big deal.

I don't have a pic handy, but my son's 2007  1050 Sprint has what I have been told are semi-floating. Inner portion of the disc that attaches to the wheel looks like a normal disc, but about 2 1/2" out from the center is where the outer portion of the disc becomes 'floating' as in it's attached with the 'rivet' (bobbin) looking fasteners.

But, what do I know.

atokad

Quote from: "TigerTrax"FOUND.... EBC - USA    Rotors Triumph Tiger w/ cast wheels:

guess where ?
Where at Bubba..?

Right under the DIRT BIKE section. Not in street bikes. Not in ATV ( I am surprised ).  Dirt Bike:

I feel much better.

When upgrading to these floating rotors, must you also get new calipers?!?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "atokad"
Quote from: "TigerTrax"FOUND.... EBC - USA    Rotors Triumph Tiger w/ cast wheels:

guess where ?
Where at Bubba..?

I feel much better.

When upgrading to these floating rotors, must you also get new calipers?!?

Nope

Chris Canning

Quote from: "atokad"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Fully floating (dunno what you mean by semi) they do chatter a little bit as you roll to a stop sometimes, but once you've experienced it once it's no big deal.

I don't have a pic handy, but my son's 2007  1050 Sprint has what I have been told are semi-floating. Inner portion of the disc that attaches to the wheel looks like a normal disc, but about 2 1/2" out from the center is where the outer portion of the disc becomes 'floating' as in it's attached with the 'rivet' (bobbin) looking fasteners.

But, what do I know.

The reason why stock Triumph discs warp,is for the simple reason they are bolted directly to the wheel,when they get hot and bothered and start to expand,that isn't possible because their bolted and have no ability to move.

You get discs that are atttached to carriers with bobbins,that you class as semi floaters,they are still solid but the bobbins do allow some movement from the disc when they heat up.

Full floaters are like a musical instrument,shake e'm they rattle as the disc has the ability when hot to expand and contract without any interference as they are technically loose,hence why there's no warping and loose heat quickly and last longer,oh!!! and cost more  :D

jnutiger

TigerTrax

Did you end up ordering the full floaters?  If so, where from and for how much.  Even though I have a new set of stock rotors hanging in the garage, I'd like to make the jump to the floaters.  Am planning on a multi month trip with a heavy load and would rather not have to deal with them on the road.

Wonder if a few of us got together, we might be able to get a bit of a discount on them.
2006 Tiger

atokad

I am waiting, as I type, to get a call that my rear rotor has been straightened.  Costing me $40.  They said normal should be around 2-3/1000's of variance and mine measured 20/1000's when I took it in yesterday.

Anyone know about what a new rear floating rotor would've cost me in comparison?

TigerTrax

I wonder why some of my post are not getting up on the board...

I haven't done a thing yet.

Mustang

Quote from: "TigerTrax"I wonder why some of my post are not getting up on the board...

:icon_scratch

TigerTrax

Hey Ken......

We itch..... you scratch !

atokad

Quote from: "TigerTrax"I wonder why some of my post are not getting up on the board...

TT, ever do the rotor upgrade?  If so, pics? cost?