News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New toy for work

Started by daveb, March 22, 2011, 11:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveb

I got a new toy coming into work tomorrow, large format UV digital printer.  :D

Roland LEC 330

this video is the older version of the printer.

Bixxer Bob

Awesome Dave!!

I consider myself pretty handy with machinery - if someone can draw it, and it can be machined, I can make it, but the concept of design has always eluded me.  My homegrown stuff is aways functional only, never pretty, and my drawing ability doesn't go much beyond stick men.  I used to envy those that can, but these days I'm much more comfortable with what I can and can't do; that envy has morphosed into a great deal of respect. :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

daveb

Bob, That another part of my Skill  :oops: my profession is a Mechanical design engineer, so I draw for a living. I use Autocad R14 everyday. I also taught myself how to use the 3d side of the program, however R14 has its limits, it cannot produce helix (screw threads) without a bolt on application.

This Printer opens up a whole new world for instrument dial designs for the company, plus other opportunities for digital printing and graphics. (customisation)   :wink:

CoolHandLuke

Expect some requests for custom bike graphics :p

daveb

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"Expect some requests for custom bike graphics :p

I have already warned the 'power that be' about this one, also I have requests from the airbrush forums I am on for custom stencils / templates for airbrushing.

There is a material available for printing graphics similar to the airfix water flow graphics, but these would be any size but depends on the roll, current web width for this machine is 33" X roll length or sheet size.

Nick Calne

The possibilities! So Cool.
I'm photoshopping the tiger as I write. 8)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Putts255

Hey DaveB, that looks like one heck of a machine.  

My son just finished an intense college prgram where in 6 months they learn 3D animation, graphincs etc.  

Here is a link to his final project.  At 18 he is fully employable and is looking for full time work.  Very proud of him, I am.  Hope you like it.

Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

daveb

Quote from: "Putts255"Hey DaveB, that looks like one heck of a machine.  

My son just finished an intense college prgram where in 6 months they learn 3D animation, graphincs etc.  

Here is a link to his final project.  At 18 he is fully employable and is looking for full time work.  Very proud of him, I am.  Hope you like it.

:wav

so cool I can see why you are proud of your lads, I enjoyed your lads vid, I went on a part time printing and coating technology course for my degree, it lasted 6 years, working full time and uni... (Mature Student (40))but I got a 2:2 Bsc out of it. it went into the rehology of the inks, stress & strain, colour separations, etc, etc.

Now I got to learn CS5,
Nick, just a thought I could produce the tiger stripes as outlines with an image of a tiger through them, use the cutter on the printer give it depth. job done.

jwray76

Cool toy for sure!

R14 for 3d drafting would be really time consuming for anything other than very simple shapes.

I have done quite a bit of AutoCAD and I think you learn just as much of how to work around it as you do with it  :D

Nick Calne

Dave - I reckon you're going to find it hard to get any work done for all the messing about and having fun!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

daveb

Quote from: "jwray76"Cool toy for sure!

R14 for 3d drafting would be really time consuming for anything other than very simple shapes.

I have done quite a bit of AutoCAD and I think you learn just as much of how to work around it as you do with it  :D

I use the 3d mode for sending out for stl model and tooling for injection moulded or machined parts.  :D

I want to upgrade from R14 to maybe soildworks for the 3d work  :wink:

daveb

Quote from: "nickcalne"Dave - I reckon you're going to find it hard to get any work done for all the messing about and having fun!

Hell yes, I enjoy work, you should see the cars I get to design for.....

daveb

it arrived today, what a machine, I am playing with 50 or 100M of self adhesive label material.

1st days playing er...er... instruction went well, 2morro is another play day

might try some bike logo's for my locker in work  :wink: