News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Extended Trip on a Girly

Started by Lostviking, March 29, 2011, 01:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

Me subtle ? If you click on the link (www.knlcycle.com) imbeded in Homer Simpson doing a wheelie on his Tiger 100, you will get to right place. Consider if you want a 1" drop (or more or less) depending on your ergonomic preference. I painted mine black (except the foot surface) & used a file to LIGHTLY knock the points off - easier on the boot soles with no reduction in grip. TTFN, j

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Lostviking"But I'm also looking for some advice on outfitting my new found Girly for the trip.

Thanks in advance.

since you asked .................... :spam4
footpegs that will make your knees happy for extended rides .

http://www.knlcycle.com

Spam !! Spam !! Spam !! Spam !!  :lol:

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

KK

ps www.knlcycle.com  :thumbsup
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Lostviking

It's all starting to make sense now! I missed the website the first time around.
Find A Way

RT

Yes a definite +1 on the Mustang Pegs.   Great grip and the bit of a drop makes a huge difference.

If you have the $$$ left after buying the bike and recommend a Bill Mayer, or Russell Day long.  Both are very gentle on your rear.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

John Stenhouse

Definite +1 on the Mustang pegs, just back from Germany, on Tigger and they really transform the comfort.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

brad1098

+7 on Mustang pegs.  Even if you have short inseam  :?
Heated grips.  Will not ever have a bike without again.
Alaska sheepskin pad.  Great for the long haul.
A high end helmet that works for you!! mine=Nolan N-103
TOR map at minimum.  Map and TOR exhaust = Tiger Roar
19t front sproket
metal fuel fittings

That should keep ya busy!!
02 black-Lorna

Mini Mo

One thing I do not see is a tank bag. This is a definite must. If you get or have a factory tank bag check out the mod I did to mine. Since I'm old school and love maps the factory map holder is a joke. Also made a couple of bungee hold down thingies that came in handy.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

+1 on the heated grips and 19t sprocket. I weigh 150 and have found the factory gel seat works perfect for me. The stock seat is horrible for any long distance. Taking a good 400-500 mi. ride in a day is good advise. You'll figure out pretty quickly what you don't like.

Not sure when you're taking this trip but I live in SoCal and for the last 3 years have taken 2 week trips covering all the states you mention plus a few more. For the amount of days you plan on taking (I'm envious!) it goes without saying, especially if you plan on camping, be prepared for any type of weather including snow. I took my first  trip in early June. Huge mistake. In 13 days of riding I saw the sun maybe a half dozen times. Rain and snow the whole trip. Second trip was late June early July. It was actually worse. The most rain I had ever ridden in and actually feared for my life on a couple of mountain passes. Last year was mid Sept and was by far the best weather. Didn't need my rain gear once. We are having a very late spring again this year.
1999 Tiger
2006 KTM 450 EXC
1971 Honda CB750

Dred

I got my throttlemeister installed yesterday and did a short tour.  It was a great relief for me.  Been riding with them for years and the ability to rest my throttle grip makes a world of good for any extended highway riding.  The secondary benefit of the throttlemeister solution is the vibration damping effect of bar end weights.  I was pleased that the aftermarket hand guards stretched nicely to accomodate the addition.

Texas is big and flat, so there is highway time invested to get to the riding roads.  This highway time was vibrating my right hand numb and to sleep.  The throttlemeister cured this problem.  Throttlemeister.com if your inclined.  There is another alternative which I don't have experience with that I've seen on a few adventure bikes.  I believe it is similar, but the throttlemeister was a known quantity for me and I found a pair for $50 on ebay.

I don't like the throttle rockers or the level locks because I don't like the invasion into already limited grip real estate.

Regarding tank bags, I'm happy with my solution; however, it's different.  Been a long time of Pelican, so I mounted up a Pelican 1200 to the mounts on my tank cover.  My original plan was to use an electrified tank ring mount, but I discovered I'd have to buy a bag I didn't want to get my hands on the system.  The pelican is completely watertight and I've electrified it to serve as a weather sealed charging station.  i'm new school, so I didn't need a map pocket; rather I use Navigation software on my Smartphone.

AK Tiger

1) Definite + on the tank bag.  While you in there, run some power to it so you can keep your cell phone, computer, etc. charged.  Powerlet.com
2) Install a small voltmeter near the gauges.  That'll keep you in the know regarding the stator and regulator/rectifier.
3) I changed sprockets to a 19/43 combination.  Much more relaxed cruising.
4) Changed to a Bill Mayer saddle.  Much better.
5) I changed screens to a Cee Bailey #2, +8".  Buffeting?  Not any more.
6) Might consider adding a Crampbuster to the throttle.
7) How about a plug set and an air pump in case you get a flat?
8) RAIN GEAR! It rained 38 of the 45 days I was on the road.
9) Heated grips.  Oxford worked well.

Rode to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, then to Key West, FL, then back up the East Coast and over to Dayton, OH and finally home to CA. last summer.  One set of brake pads, 2 sets of tires, no problems. Have fun!
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

Lostviking

Thanks for the feedback so far.

It is all very sound advice. It must be because I agree.

Tank Bag - I think I'm going to fit a Bags Connection from TT. I had one on my Quota and liked it.

I think Oxford grips will do the trick, but to be honest I have Gerbings heated gloves and jacket and might not worry about the grips. But it is nice to just flip the grips on when it gets a little chilly.

Need a bash plate.

Seat is still up in the air.  I will take the advice and hammer out a few long days prior to the trip and see.
Find A Way

AK Tiger

QuoteNeed a bash plate.

Oh yeah, one of those.  I used Touratech's bashplate and engine guards.  The engine guards work well, but not if you hit a carribou at speed.  Don't ask ... it was ugly. :oops:
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

cdubya

Spencer works magic with his seat mod's IMO.
The "LD" mod is a winner.  Had mine done over the winter.  Just returned from a 5400 mile trip.  Seat is light years better.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php
06 Girly

Lostviking

The Big Tig resting after the ride home

Find A Way

KuzzinKenny

Does the seat get the :thumbsup

or are ya still numb  :ImaPoser

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Lostviking

Only about an hour and a half ride home. But no signs of discomfort from the seat.  Very pleased with the bike overall. Didn't push much as our roads still have a lot of sand on them.

Love the engine. Brakes seem fine. Suspension soaked up all the nasty spring road conditions well enough. Horn doesn't work. I'll have to dig into that shortly.
Find A Way