News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

not starting / sanity check

Started by jonathan jaecks, March 24, 2011, 01:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan jaecks

My 06' started acting flakey a few days ago...when key on not getting any panel lights, no response when depressing starter button.  The problem is intermittent so it's not working then it is etc.  I don't seem to be having a problem with the sidestand or neutral switch but have not taken a meter to them yet (will have time this weekend).  I do ride it as a commuter so the key switch itself does get a lot of use, and I almost always use the steering lock.  I noticed last night that when unlocking the steering lock I could get the ignition to problem to repeat so I'm leaning towards the switch.  I'll have to disconnect, clean, replace this weekend and retest.
I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem as I didn't see it in the old threads.  Am I missing anything?

thanks,

Jonathan

Bixxer Bob

There's a thread on here about wiring breaking away from the back of the switch and needing to be resoldered.  

Might have been Steamer post tho  :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Nope girlies do it too, you'll have to overcome the shear bolts to get the switch out, they have no head as a security system, bit of a faf to take all the yokes out, but you may get in there some other way.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

ChazzyB

Ignition switch. Mine went terminal in the south of France last year. The top yoke had to come off (not a huge job, as it happened) to drill one of the security bolts out. The other was loose already...
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

jonathan jaecks

Soooo, after a complete troubleshooting session and coming back to the same thing (faulty ignition switch) and before yanking said switch out I decided to try the (almost) obvious.  If the issue is poor/dirty contacts I'm going to see exactly the intermittent problem I'm experiencing...why not drown it with WD-40 and see what happens, and maybe save $230 in the process.  So the other day I flooded it 3x with WD-40 and blew it out with some air and so far have not got the problem to repeat.  Hopefully that was it...hopefully its the obvious simple thing.

thanks again all,

Jonathan

ChazzyB

Quote from: "jonathan jaecks"If the issue is poor/dirty contacts I'm going to see exactly the intermittent problem I'm experiencing...why not drown it with WD-40 and see what happens

The common reason for failure seems to be wire(s) broken at the solder pads inside the cap at the bottom.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

jonathan jaecks

I'm really hoping it's not a dead/dying switch, and is just years of accumulated grime.  Believe me...really hoping.  If the switch was only a couple bucks I doubt I'd care, but since its not (thank you again Triumph for raping people on parts prices) I'm riding on my 1.8 mile commute for a few weeks to see if it errors again. (I can walk at least that far if it fails).  Before my next long trip I'll probably end up cutting it out and inspecting it, soldering it if necessary anyway, I'm just not in the mood to be doing it now if I don't have to. (65 hr repeating work weeks)

Cheers,

Jonathan

jwray76

If you need to replace the ignition there is a good chance you could find a used one on Ebay much cheaper. I bet other Triumph ignitions are identical if you check some part numbers.

ChazzyB

Quote from: "jwray76"If you need to replace the ignition there is a good chance you could find a used one on Ebay much cheaper. I bet other Triumph ignitions are identical if you check some part numbers.

Try looking for Derbi ignition/lock sets.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S