News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

93 - 98 whats the differences

Started by kingdomstyle, March 29, 2011, 04:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingdomstyle

whats the difference in the steamers.so say different years are more reliable? just curious :roll:
1999 TIGER black.2008 XR650L,2008 KLX450R

Mustang

they are all basically the same
the engines are the same  
98's got showa suspension vs kayaba for the 97 and back
98's got keihin carbs 97 and back had mikunis
the later steamers lost the side cover graphic
little improvements thru the years like upgraded sprag clutch ,upgraded alternator bolts , different size fasteners on the body panels

but otherwise they are the same throughout 93-98

reliability is relevant to owner or previous owners abuse and maint. routine
my three are flawless
the 95 was bought brand new in 95 and has been the best of the bunch
but to be fair it is Mrs M's and she rides her own easy goin style ( not bouncing it off the rev limiter for example) it will go cross country tomorrow if you wanted too.
My 98 bought new 0 miles in 99 has had it's share of abuse from me but I keep it well maintained . It's a cross country weapon also .........

My other 98 was second hand 1 owner with 37k on it and I am currently torturing it with a side car and it's dead reliable also .
Between the three they have accumulated mileage of around 175k with no major issues .

They are what they are and if you maintain it will last for years . I can't buy a new bike cuz I can't kill these !
 :D

Why do you keep asking about reliability ? ride the one ya got and find out for yourself ! :shock:

CoolHandLuke

I have quite a few subtle differences between models.

93. Had a green CDI unit which was replaced in later models with a black one.  I am led to believe that the black ones allow the engine to turn a few times before firing whereas the green CDI units would try and fire straight away.  I have both and this seems to be the only noticeable difference.

93 - ? had a shite cockpit subframe (which I have just replaced).  The centre metal rod, that bears most of the load, was a single piece of metal angled from the left of the bike, as you are sat on it.  These were prone to fracture and later models have a double bar which is inline with the frame.

93 - ? silver swingarms.  Later models went to black swingarms and silver eccentrics before being all black.

93 - ? had a service cover on top of the gear box.  Later models this is removed for a single cast unit.

93 - ? The lights on the dash were a different colour.  Indicator idiot lights were orange (instead of green) and the fuel warning light was red (instead of amber).

93 - ? No inline fuse for the brake lights. Later models do.

93 - ? The black finish of the side panels was smooth on earlier models and then went to a rough finish.

93 - ? The stainless steel exhaust finishers were polished?  Later models went to a matt finish.

93 - 97 (ish) Mikuni carbs.  (98 - ) Keihin carbs.  (Keihin are more economical and need less maintenance).

93 - ? spindly luggage rack (which I prefer) and then later on they went to cast luggage racks which never look like they fit right from the side. From the side, look at any Tiger with the spindly racks and any Tiger with the cast racks and tell me the cast racks don't look to close to the exhaust!

I am on a second glass of wine, else I would try and narrow the dates down...

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Mustang"Why do you keep asking about reliability ? ride the one ya got and find out for yourself ! :shock:

What, with the "Steamer... Would you call these bike reliable" and the "WHY DO YOU LOVE THE STEAMER" and now this one...

No offence kingdomstyle, but you come across as very inexperienced, even for a previous Tiger owner.  It's like you are a sponge trying to soak up knowledge from other sources to account for the lack of experience you, yourself, haven't had.

kingdomstyle

LOL YEAH MIGHT SEEM PARANOID.....LOVE THE BIKE IT RIDES SO SWEET AND LOOKS SOOO COOL,I ALWAYS SECOND GUESS MYSELF.I TOLD MY THREE BOYS 10,12,15 TO EACH PLAN A 3 TO 4 DAY TRIP AND WE WILL DO IT THIS SUMMER.SO I KEEP TRIPPIN ABOUT RELIABILITY,I AM GONNA KEEP IT AND ROLL IT MUSTANG :D .SOUNDS LIKE GOOD ADVICE.YEAH IM LOVE TO KNOW DETAILS ON BIKES HISTORY LIKE SPOONGE.... :D

D-Fuzz

Buying something else doesn't guarantee reliability for a trip like that either.  I've read about rear wheel bearing failures and electronic failures and who knows what else on bikes costing 5-10 times what I paid for my Steamer.  Make sure you have the maintenance up to date, get in as many rides as you can beforehand, and then enjoy your trip.  In my experience, it is sitting that causes as many problems for bikes as you find by riding them regularly.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

abruzzi

Ride your bike a lot, take a few weekend trips.   The reliability of your bike will be more about your bike the the model in general, so the more miles you put on it, the more certain you will be that it won't leave you stranded.  That said, the steamer (and all hinckley tigers) are pretty reliable bikes, if you keep  up on maintenance.  Mine has 61k on it, and I'm leaving in a few weeks for a 2000 mile ride.  If yours has been maintained like mine, you will have no problems, but if you don't know the history of the bike, then it will take several thousand miles before you can trust it.  After all, it is 15 years old.

Geof

Basri...

Quote from: "kingdomstyle"whats the difference in the steamers.so say different years are more reliable? just curious :roll:

http://www.triumphtiger.net/tigere/Tige ... 201998.htm
Basri,

since 1965...

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Basri..."http://www.triumphtiger.net/tigere/Tige ... 201998.htm
That page annoys me :)

The bronze colour he calls khaki is actually sandstorm :)

kingdomstyle

very good info,thanks a bunch :D