News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rubbing strip install

Started by 97tiger885, March 30, 2011, 02:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I am replacing the chain slider and the rubbing strip.   The slider is easy, the rubbing strip not so much.  I have the rear footpeg hanger and the left side cover off to give me access.  The old rubbing strip is off.  It was job getting that out.  How does the new one go on?  Can I just force the new one on or do I have to remove something else such as the sprocket cover?  

+++++++
Jon

CoolHandLuke

LOL.  I had to do this very thing only yesterday.  I attempted a few methods of getting the f**king thing on and the only one that worked was as follows.

Hold the chain slider against the side of the swingarm, just behind the rear footrest hanger, as if it were in place already.  Push the the centre of the chain slider in and pull the top and bottom of the chain slider out, to make it as flat as possible.  You can now, slide the slider along the swingarm behind the footrest hanger and into place.  The slider will return to its former shape when in place.  You may need to work the front of the slider, with your fingers, past the back of the frame.  But once the front is past the frame, it should slide into place quite easily.

You only need to undo the bolts on the rear foot hanger so the end of the bolts are not obstructing the back.  Everything else can stay in place.

NeilD

:) yes I had one of those 'have they sent me the wrong parts' moments trying to fit my new one!  but yes a bit of pushing, pulling and brute force sorted it..    :shock:

CoolHandLuke

Oops, slider => rubbing strip  8)

Mustang

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5260
:thumbsup

I ran a search on "rubbing strip" in the steamer tech forum and came up empty.

I was trying this in the dark last night.  My slider had some life remaining; it was not quite worn to the metal.  The rubbing strip didn't have much left.  In the morning, the problem appeared to be two-fold.  First, the fit between the swing arm and frame is very tight.  Second, the chain guard is between the swing arm and frame.  So, off comes the chain guard.  Wait...the forward bolt is directly behind the exhaust.  Off comes the exhaust. I ended up removing the seat, the left side air box cover, the entire mount for the left rear foot peg, the chain guard, the exhaust and the left side bottom rear cowl cover.  Then I took my hammer and a double-sided box wrench to force the strip in.   Frustrating but successful mostly.  There is a tit on the bottom rear of the strip to locate it.  That tit is not staying in the hole.  I plan on using some silicone to glue it in place.   At least, all of the chain weirdness is gone.  The chain sounds and feels much better.  

So much for a simple 30 minute chore. AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!

++++++
Jon

Mustang

look in the stickys at the top of the steamer forum ..........alot of chores are linked from there  :wink:

BruKen

It sounds to me like it is soooo much easier just to remove the swingarm. That way you know exactly what yer dealing with.

Mustang

IT'S NOT AS DIFFICULT AS IT SOUNDS .
takes me about an hour to do start to finish . it would take far longer to take the swingarm off

BruKen

Absolute rubbish. Removing the swingarm is easy. It's putting it back that's bloody difficult. :lol:  :lol:

CoolHandLuke

Nah, swingarm is a doddle, I have done two now :)