News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

DAR-Clutch side

Started by R0B, April 02, 2011, 11:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R0B

Well, I've thought my bike a little noisy for a while, and it had an oil leak from the alternator......so I pulled it apart, and the conclusion is DAR (and a buggered '0' ring, with the clutch side broken. The question is (having put a few hundred miles on this year already) can I ride my bike safely?, or does it have to be an immediate fix?.

I have the kit already. I know there has been some discussion on torque settings. The bolt is 8mm and 12.9 hardness............also.........which side do the nuts go?......I'm guessing alternator side.

I'm going to have an engineer friend of mine have a go at drilling the old one when I get it out. The hole diameter of the new one is 8.5mm. I've heard of people re-threading to 8mm, but not read about anyone who's actually done it....I was wondering about how hard the part will be.

Rob

NeilD

well having just done mine, to my mechanically inept eye it doesnt look like the broken bolt on the clutch side can go anywhere, it will just polish its head on the back of the clutch basket..  :)  its not too bad a job to do though if you've already got the alternator off,  biggest job is removing the clutch.. well actually its putting it back on specifically lining up all the drive gears and keeping them in place whilst you refit the clutch center..

abruzzi

Don't just pull the old shaft and drill it.  Bad things will happen.  You need to push the old shaft out with the replacement shaft, otherwise (were told by those with experience) something falls that can't be replaced without opening the engine.

I don't know the benefit of drilling the old one.  Once replaced, I expect it to last a while, and if it does go bad again, you just need to replace the center bolt, not the shaft.

Geof