News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Howdy - Question and Introductory Babble

Started by Dred, April 03, 2011, 06:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dred

Hello from Fort Bend County, TX.

I'm about 2 weeks and 2k miles into my new triple.  Where has she been all my life?

Fair warning ... I'm a strnage one, so please don't let me upset your visual sensiibilities.  That is, I've been flat blacking out all manner of transportation since the lat 1980s.  Victems have included Alfa Romeo GTV6, BMW 2002, but your prolly more interested in the 89 TransAlp, 94 R100GSPD, 1999 Valkyrie Interstate, 1980 Susi GL1000, etc.

I started riding in 1973 (Z50) at the ripe old age of 5, and I've never stopped for any appreciable amount of time.  And, although the list of victems I posted doesn't indicate, Honda's have been my staple.  The TransAlp was stolen (probably being enjoyed in South America); I owned several XLs before that; The sale of the R100GSPD still haunts me, but I'm baaaaaaack!  I should mention damn happy with my selection cause Maxine (my Tigress) runs circles around the rest of my stable - past and present.

thanks, BTW ... I found her on Ebay for a steal, and I'm bett'n the brunt of this question (I'm gett'n to it) is what steered y'all away and gave me the opportunity.

So, what I'm wander'n around in preparation for ask'n is:  if you were a detective ... how would you go about determining the original VIN after the state of NH ground it off and rebadged it a Spec bike with their own sequential ID number.  The stamp on the frame is gone.  Now, I don't really need or care to know the actual VIN; rather, I'm just trying to place the range so I can identify proper and appropriate tuning information.

What is know is:
1) she was a 2000 885i
2) she sporta an Off-road can

So, my answer might come as easy as:  no splits during the 2000 model year run - use ??? VIN range with confidence.  But, I'm prepared for bad news 'cause my reading indicates that updates were probably applied based on exhausting inventories of updated parts.

I do have a pic - it isn't a special one.  So far 1) I haven't mounted up the DSLR to the Top Rack (i will), but mostly I ain't wanted to interrupt the saddle time to stop and set up a magical scene only to get dissapointed by my iPhone's camera.  So, here is an after dinner (Mexican in Wharton overlooking the Colorado River ~75 miles SW of my abode) shot I took 'cause I needed to take one before I really dig in and let go with my box proof'd imagination.  Before and "so-far" pics attached.

Well, she came to me with Ma's Engine Bars, Corbin Saddle, PIAAs and Happy Trail Panniers - all of these are money savers.

I've added Top Sellerie Tank Cover (4 days from France and I expected to wait a month - I was impressed); Tiny Pelican Tank (houses stereo amplifier and weatherproof charging location - I electrified it) which mounts neatly to the Tank cover; iPhone mount replaced the Garmin mount (strangely, I have the Garmin that fit the mount, but I abandoned it eons ago in favor of HAL the iPhone).  Finally, I fit some highway pegs to the Ma's (ugly asked chrome, but .... CHEAP, timely and effective).

I will be chunking the windscreen at the first opportunity - bout the time it takes to receive a Palmer after he returns in a few more days.  I'm gonna forgoe the flat black, but only 'cause I watched a couple geeks toss a LineX (bedliner) coated cinder block from 30 feet onto concrete (the flip'n cinder block did not even crack) - yeah, Maxine will have make-up by LineX.  I grabbed up a Throttlemeister that I will be fitting at my next opportunity 'cause Maxine is murder on my trottle grip.  Heated grips will be added before the end of the hottest part of my 12 month riding season.  The amp I fitted into the Pelican is 4 channel, so along with ditching the included speakers (sound worse than a full-throttle thumper trying to harmonize), I'm gonna rig up some speakers for Pillion enjoyment 'cause I'm 2-up most of the time.  I havent decided on a bash plate yet, but I'm need'n a center stand so's I can get off this spend'n spree.  The Pelican Top box/camera case won't cost me any more than a bit of ingenuity - I just haven't flashed to a genius mounting solution yet (actually just did and I'll be visiting the local Ace before work today - should be moved to the completed list within the hour).  Also, gonna do the crankcase breather and airbox updates between money costing projects.  I'll post on the crankcase breather when I finish 'cause I got a BMW automotive part that's gonna set the breather mod  right optimal (noting but an oil seperator I can source that'll get any oil captured back where it belongs.

I'm lov'n it!  The bride is still sleeping - the cofee I tempted her with didn't work, but I bet she stirs when I pull out for my dash to the Hardware store 8^).

Thanks for be'n round.  I know I'm wordy - but I've been saving up two weeks worth of thoughts, plans and ideas.  Spring is in the air, and this 12 month draught (sole the Valkyrie LY, and expected to finish a project Guzzi 11 months ago already - she'll be waiting awhile longer now 'cause Maxine is badder than she ever tried to be 8^)'

I should also admit that I ride with the Sour Pickles of Society - Gypsy MC International.  Mostly Cruisers; mostly Harleys (I chew'm up and spit'm out); Great Riders and Great Folks.  I've got 4 more bikes lined up as projects after I get the Guzzi finished (my "club" bike).  If you've followed a current bash thread at ADV, know that I'm working up an intro over there too - See, I'm a tough guy on the internet too.  I proudly fly my retired Road Captain patch and will sometimes be seen dragging groups of cruisers around the roads of TX.

Waay too much typing - I know; it's the blink'n academic background.

Dred
GFFG

(I know about the typos and the grammar, but on proofing decided a 6th grader can get my meaning, so ...)

Timbox2

hiya Mate,

Phew, Im not gonna answer with anywhere near as many words, in  a nutshell the 885i Tigers ran from Vin 71699 to 124105. As far as I know, and Im a 955i owner so Im not the most knowledgeable, there was very little if any changes to speak of, apart from one. The Engine management system went from an MC 2000 to MC1000 on Vin 89737. The easiest way to tell which you have is to pop the rear seat and look at the ECM unit, if it has 1 big plug, its early, 2 smaller plugs its the later one.

Happy Riding.
2016 Tiger Sport