News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

a fight to the bitter end !!!

Started by NeilD, April 05, 2011, 04:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

Quote from: "rf9rider"Does the clock work?  :lol:

yes, thanks!  8)

R0B

Hi Neil, you seem to have made a very nice job of the bike. I've spoken to the guys that did your paint, and I think I'm going to take them a couple of sets to do. Have your wheels simply been cleaned, or rebuilt?.

Rob

aeronca

good looking bike - love the blue. makes me think about putting my stock fender back on :)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

NeilD

Quote from: "R0B". Have your wheels simply been cleaned, or rebuilt?.

hi Rob.. no they're a pair of Girly Behr wheels I picked up off of ebay.. had to wait a while for a decent front, but the rears seem to come up reasonably regularly..  I originally looked at getting new rims and spokes, but by the time I'd priced up all the bits plus labour,  powdercoating hubs and anodising the rims (they come polished as standard, I wanted gold or black), it was going to be around £600  :shock: these pair of wheels were about £180, I took them to the wheelbuilder down the road and he checked them over and tightened the spokes etc.. he said the front had a couple of 'flats' on it but balances up ok and cant feel it on the road..
the fibreglass airbox covers fitted a treat too..   :D

NeilD

well.. took the bike out on Sunday... ran it for about 10-5 miles with the low fuel light on, no probs.. filled up with fuel (didnt brim it, prob 3/4 full), did another 20-30 miles, again no probs.. left parked outside pub for a hour or so, started and ran fine, after about 5 miles it started stuttering pulled in clutch and it died.. restarted almost immeaditely and fine thereafter for the 10-15 miles home..
today I've pulled the tank off.. first off checked the vent at the bottom of the tank was clear (although dont believe that affects the breathing).
then took the cap to pieces and checked all the airways and nothing amiss there, although the rubber seal at the bottom didnt seem to fit the new tank as well as the old one, so have given that a trim ...
took out the petcock, the filters were clear and inside the tap all ok...
the only thing that I did find was a strip of paper or maybe a leaf laying at the bottom of the tank next to the petcock... I was wondering if this has been floating around the tank and getting sucked onto the inlet pipe as the fuel is flowing, then when it cuts out floating off again.. ?? dunno, but have hosed the tank out, nothing much else came out. will leave the tank to fully dry out overnight and chuck it back together tomorrow.
 :roll:

rybes

hope ya get it sorted mate. things like that are bloody annoyin :x  could it be a fuel pipe collapsin somehow under vacum ?
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

NeilD

first ride today after cleanig the tank out... started and idled perfectly, set off and about 4 miles down the road it started running rough and died..  :x  opened cap, no big gulp of air.. after a minute or 2 it started up but ran on only 1 or 2 cylinders as I headed back towards home.. by the time I got home it was running fine again..  so I carried on and did about 90 miles, fast stuff, slow stuff and half hour stop for ice cream and it didnt miss a beat.  :icon_scratch
..now todays episode was similar to the last time in that it happened after a start from cold, died after a couple of miles then ran fine..
I'm pretty much discounting the venting problem theory, think I was going down that path as the tank was the only thing that had been changed over the winter.. I think I have sparkplugs in stock so will chuck a new set in if so... other than that not sure what to do, wait for whatever it is to get worse and reveal itself??  :roll:

metalguru

Had a similar problem on my steamer, although seems unlikely in the warmer season, carb iceing!!
Way I cured mine was a bend from an old 4-1 cut to just sit above link pipe and enter the left hand air intake and tied to the frame with a cable tie but this was when I was riding in minus temps but might be worth a try and doesn't cost anything but a bit of time.

By the way NICE looking bike, still regret getting rid of mine.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

NeilD

I'm getting really,  really, really tired of taking the bodywork off and putting it back on again.. in fact I'm getting really really really really tired of the bike..  :(

pulled out the old plugs today, about 10000 miles old, colours are ok, gaps and center electrodes ok, some deposits on 2 of them on the outside of the
earth electrode..  changed them anyway
checked conections at both ends of the plug leads, and at the coil.. all fine..
tank venting fine - full-on whale-song as its sits outside in the sunshine

put it all back together, and exactly the same thing happened again - starts and runs fine for about 5 miles, starts missfiring and dies. starts after 3 or 4 mins, ride back home missfiring all the way... today I couldnt be arsed to see if it clears itself  as it has in the past, but after stopping and pushing it round to the back of the house it starts and ticks over and revs ok...  I actually wish the thing would just not start or something, at least with a problem like that you can have a go at tracing the fault..

sadly due to family stuff going on at the moment I'm just about run out of time and energy to spend on it, so it'll either be pushed into a corner and put under a sheet, or alternatively it may get put on to ebay..  :cry:

Mustang

it's either coils  .....or the pilot circuit is dirty in the carbs  . My money is on the coils

rybes

neil mate, same thing kinda happened to me today. i know the prob. the carbs are icin up. go try some super unleaded and see if that cures it. i gotta get octane booster. highest over here is 95  :cry: aparantly they phased out 98 a few years ago :roll:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

R0B

Hi Neil, you weren't wrong on the new caliper bolts. I ordered some and they're likewise too long. I've spoken to Lilleys who are going to flag it up to Triumph............could be nasty if you didn't realise so thanks for the heads up.

Rob

Rocinante

Your problem seem to be identical to mine, as discussed here:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,9412

I am away for a few weeks but when I get back in the beginning of May, I´ll try replacing the coils, one by one. They are highest on the culprit suspicion list.

The strange thing is that the stumble and dying happened 1,5 year ago as well. It was intermittant and went away more og less when I replaced plugs and old plug wires. I say more or less because I have had hints of stumbling afterwards as well, until this spring when after a major engine job it came back for full.

It starts like a rocket when cold and runs fine until thoroughly warm, say 10 minutes, then starts to stumble and I have to gas it to keep it from dying, which it eventually does in the end anyway. It doesn´t smoke and sometimes it may make loud bangs like a gun. After cooling down for an hour or so it starts again and repeats the procedure, only with a shorter interval cause it heats up quicker.

The local Triumph mech says coils are likely. They can be fine when cold (mine are and resistance are on spec) but when warm the circuit may break.

So I agree with Mustang and bet on the coils.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com