News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

End of my rope.

Started by Danny955i, March 31, 2011, 05:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

New TPS, cleaned throttle bodies, cleaned air filter (KnN) and running Remus exhaust no silencer.

So... the idle still wanders. 1100-1400 rpm... runs rough... pops really badly on deceleration/as the rpm's fall standing still...

I'm more than mad... I re-flashed the ECU with the TOR tune for the correct vin, reset the TPS and did the 12min reset... the bike runs pretty bad.

Sitting at idle... you can hear a 'click' every 30 seconds or so and the rpm's drop. Almost sounds like a vacuum sound... hard to describe...

Could this be the valves are out of spec? or throttle bodies out of balance?

Thanks.

ChazzyB

A click? Remove the seat and apply your stethoscope to the power relays near the ECU. No stethoscope? Use a long screwdriver, press it against the component and shove the handle in yer ear 'ole.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

Also, use Tune ECU to check the click isn't a sticky IACV, cycle it and listen for smooth movement.

Next, look at Metalguru's ECU settings that he posted, and check yours against them.  If you've flashed the latest (Nov) TunECU map, his settings for the IACV steps and trims should be close enough.  I tried them with a stock map and they worked pretty well on mine.

Worth noting that when I tried those settings with my older custom map it wouldn't tick over though, had to raise the IACV steps several (can't remember what to at the moment...).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danny955i

IACV? Is that the idle stepper motor? The small "Japanese Fan" looking device at the base of the airbox between cylinder 1 and 2?

I took that apart when I had the throttlebodies off... the little white thing doesn't move... is that supposed to go up and down to let more air into the vacuum lines?

Also... how do I test this?

Plug in TuneECU to the bike, turn the key on, and then "Idle Stepper"?

Metalguru's settings were at -22 for the Idle Stepper settings... so I can give that a whirl.

My next question is this... when the bike kicks on when you turn the key... there is a little 'whine' sound, sometimes its a 'eee-e-e-e-eeee', and I always thought that was the fuel pump cycling. Should I unplug the fuel pump before testing this?

I'm thinking of popping the tank off, pulling the air filter, hooking the battery back up, and then giving it a test. That way I can see what's going on...

Or, if that "eeeeeeee" noise is the stepper motor... then it's been acting up... I can tell you right now.

Any cure? New one in the US goes for $150...

chairhead

Quote from: "Danny955i"My next question is this... when the bike kicks on when you turn the key... there is a little 'whine' sound, sometimes its a 'eee-e-e-e-eeee', and I always thought that was the fuel pump cycling.

It is the fuel pump kicking in,mine does it as im sure alot of others do,
a well known characteristic of the Girly Tigers,stick your ear on the tank the next time you turn it on :shock: ,and yet when the pump is out of the tank,its whisper quite.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

You're on the right track with the stepper motor.  If it's not moving that's your issue.

As you say, remove tank, reconnect battery, use TuneECU to test it. It should cycle through the full range to or three times smoothly, no hesitations.  

If you've had it apart, as Tim and I both know, it's likely it's effed.  The are very sensitive little gadgets. :roll:

Be aware, after connecting battery with other things disconnected, you'll get the MIL light on, but TuneECU can be used to reset that as well.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danny955i

The only thing I've done to the stepper is remove the cover (with the vacuum lines) and give the white valve a look over...

I then kinda gave it a mild wiggle, and a twist, and it wouldn't move... nothing harsh.. just a little "what's this do" sort of fondle.

I then re-installed it... and it ran exactly the same after as it did before.

So, if it was effed... I didn't do it. :)

But, the test will wait till tomorrow night. I picked up a stock air-filter from Performance Cycle out in Shrewsbury, MA today... so I think the KnN is going to collect dust for a while.

Here's my run-down.

1. Charge battery 100%.
2. Bring laptop w/cord and wall-plug.
3. Remove tank.
4. Install battery.
5. Remove air filter.
6. Fire-up TuneECU and plug in.
7. Turn on the bike.
8. Click "Stepper Motor" and see if it does anything.
9. If it does... great, put in stock air-filter and walk away.
10. If it does not... bad... order new stepper motor.

There is no... "fiddle with" on this device eh? Can't take it apart, clean it, and re-install in any way?

Bixxer Bob

Nothing other than a bit of cleaning without dismantling (which might work if you're careful).  Solid is right, it shouldn't move at all except on command from the ECU.  Tim and I both made the mistake of cycling it with it off the bike.  It has an internal spring that sends parts all over the workshop, so don't do that.  Just plug in, see that it moves smoothly then don't eff with it.

I've sent you a couple of maps and ideas to try.  When you put the map in, aim for settings similar to Mtalguru and you won't be far out.

Danny955i

NO issues with the IACV!!!

Did the test, and it moved VERY smoothly up and down three times.

Check out my write-up in the "ECU Trim" forum.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,68473#68473

Bixxer Bob

Well done, which tune are you using?