News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

help me help

Started by WVdyhrd, April 09, 2011, 02:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVdyhrd

Ok, so first off i'm going to do some research on here to try to answer this. But I wanted to get the que out there quick in case I found no relevant material.

Took my 01 Girly out for an evening spin. Couple of hours, moderate humid weather, some dirt roads (nothing nuts), and moderate road riding.

Pull in the garage and shut her down, take my jacket off, turn around and the bike was puking coolant from a breather hose underneath.

Nothing I can recall being abnormal, ran as pretty as ever, and no changes lately to the bike, including no major maintaining recently undertaken...

It dumped over half it's reservoir. I refilled it, started the bike, and it idled for 12 min with no indication of a problem, and no more leaking when shut off.

I'm hoping I shut it off to quickly, is this possible on a bike? And im hoping isn't an indication of  something bigger?????

Any feedback is greatly appreciated
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

ackme

Must be going around.  You will find a number of posts about the radiator cap.  Seems both the OEM and aftermarket ones will often crap out after about two years.  Check this post from Stretch about half way down:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lie+faults

I just replaced mine last week after the same symptoms.  First there was a bit of gurgling after a ride and then there was a bit of coolant pissing - not a lot - but enough get my attention.

I have recently relocated for NY to Colorado and am now riding the bike to work - only about 5 miles so it was barely enough to really warm the engine especially at 8am and 32 F.  So the change in altitude and riding style may have had some effect but more likely it was just time for it to fail.

ack
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.

2005 955i Tiger, British Racing Green- plenty of umph

D-Fuzz

Yup, it must be contagious as my Tiger does the exact same thing.  I asked a mechanic about it and was told it might be the head gasket.  The problem was the bike showed no other signs of a faulty head gasket, temp gauge stays low and constant, no other weird stuff.  I thought sooner or later, I'd get the proper answer on this board.  I guess I will be buying a new rad cap as well.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

jwray76

my vote would be for the rad cap as well. As a preventitive maintenance I replaced mine with a Stant cap when flushing the fluid this winter. Well I had the same symptoms that you are. went back to a new stock cap and all is well.

WVdyhrd

Thanks guys!!! I'll buy a new one asap.

P.S. This is my day 2 day transportation, if i keep the fluid up, is it safe to ride it in the interim?
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

rybes

as long as ya got water where it should be itll be ok to ride. i once had a car that would loose a gallon of water every 25 miles due to a bust rad. kept goin for ages till i got a new rad. jus watch ya temp gauge ;)
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

D-Fuzz

I made a trip to Canadian Tire today and pick up a rad cap for a '88-91 Honda, as per the part cross-refence thread on here.  I put in it, ran the bike for a good 20 minutes or so and it seems to have cured the problem.  No bubbling, no coolant puking on the ground.  And for only $7.00! :D
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black