News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil pressure light

Started by GavD, April 05, 2011, 06:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

OK guys, I picked the bike up from the MOT test garage today and the oil pressure light doesn't go out. It was OK when I rode it there.

It's not electrical because if I remove the wire from the switch and dab it to earth it comes on, then goes out when I take it off earth again.

I checked the oil level, slightly low but not below the line, so risked the 4 mile trip home. Once home I had a quick look through the Haynes manual which suggests the switch, removed it and blew some air in it, put it back and now the light goes to half brightness with the engine running. Pretty sure it's the switch, but not 100%.

Anyone had this before? I vaguely remember changing it when I first bought the bike 9 years ago, but it might be my memory playing tricks on me.

Any advice gratefully received.

Gav
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JetdocX

I'm on my third one (switch).  They seem to last me about 24,000 miles or so.
From parts unknown.

rybes

ive noticed mine flickers a load before it goes out. just hope its a switch n not the pump. never used to do it so im a bit concerned
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

it's the switch , I rely on a oil pressure gauge now where the clock used to be .

GavD

Thanks fellas

Mustang, what gauge have you fitted? Does it drop straight into the clock hole? Does it screw into the hole left by the pressure switch?

Gav

Mustang

depending on year of your steamer the early ones had the sending unit down next to the oil filter cover and it is possible to get the connection for the oil pressure feed there and on the 98's the sending unit is right behind cylinder #3 . Any 2 inch diameter gauge will fit the clock hole and it will just be a matter of getting the right adapters/fittings to run the plumbing for the new gauge . Get a gauge that goes up to at least 150 psi .
at idle the tigger is only making barely enuff oil pressure to keep it alive but at 8000 rpm she makes almost 100 psi

GavD

Went for the cheapest option of replacing the switch, picked it up today & fitted. Oil light goes out OK now. So (fingers crossed) I'm all set for a shakedown run this weekend.

Oil pressure guage has been added to the growing list of farkles.