News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel level sending unit help

Started by hansi, April 23, 2011, 03:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hansi

When I got my 03 Girly recently I was told by the previous owner that the fuel level sending unit was defect. Gauge showed zero and fuel light was on all the time.  He included a new sending unit in our deal. I finally got the time to install it and now the gauge shows full all the time and the fuel light is out, even with only one gal of fuel in the tank. Really kinda funny.
Did I miss something? Sending unit only installs one way and the plug only connects one way, so what went wrong here?

Timbox2

The float inside the tube must be stuck near the top, maybe through storage. The problem usually is the other way round, the float gets stuck near the bottom as it did on mine, mind you I took mine  apart and fixed it nearly 20,000 miles ago and its been OK since.
2016 Tiger Sport

Putts255

I replaced mine with a used one from a 2006 sprint.  

The float for the newer generation fuel sender is black.  If you take it out and open up the bottom and allow the float to drop out you will see if it is the newer one.  If it is white I would not trust it.  

I know you can order just the float itself from Bike Bandit but its something like $18 dollars.  

I got my fuel sender on E-Bay for £7.95 plus shipping.  I think after conversion it was less than $20 bucks.  Keep an eye out on e-bay for one you may get lucky.  

Good luck!   By the way mine works just fine after replacing it.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

hansi

Quote from: "Timbox2"The float inside the tube must be stuck near the top, maybe through storage. The problem usually is the other way round, the float gets stuck near the bottom as it did on mine, mind you I took mine  apart and fixed it nearly 20,000 miles ago and its been OK since.

How did you fix it? I understand the gas makes the float material swell. Did you remove material from inside and outside of the float?

Timbox2

Quote from: "hansi"
Quote from: "Timbox2"The float inside the tube must be stuck near the top, maybe through storage. The problem usually is the other way round, the float gets stuck near the bottom as it did on mine, mind you I took mine  apart and fixed it nearly 20,000 miles ago and its been OK since.

How did you fix it? I understand the gas makes the float material swell. Did you remove material from inside and outside of the float?

With mine all that had happened was the float had twisted on the circuit board jamming itself, I just removed it and slotted it back on. I didnt see any signs of the float being swollen
2016 Tiger Sport

JTT

Quote from: "Timbox2"With mine all that had happened was the float had twisted on the circuit board jamming itself, I just removed it and slotted it back on. I didnt see any signs of the float being swollen

Mine seemed to be similar.  Removed it, had a look and nothing seemed out of place.  Tested the board with a meter moving the float up and down and all seemed to be in order, so I reassembled it.  Been working fine since.  :?
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

hansi

Removed the sending unit today. The float was stuck against the cap of the tube. Move the cap up a little and  the float moves again, lock the cap into the tabs and the float sticks again. So I drilled two holes into the cap, used zip-ties through the tab openings of the tube and through the drilled holes in the cap to give the float more room. No more sticking. Works like a charm for now. Cheap fix.
Thanks for the help, guys.