News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone who has re-torqued the head...?

Started by stopwatch, April 21, 2011, 10:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopwatch

Have had a little coolant seeping from the head gasket on my 2001 Tiger. I know it's a common problem. Thought I'd loosen then re-torque the head per the three step process the manual describes while I was doing the 60,000 service to see if that helps. I pulled the cams and made marks on the cam chain and cam wheels so I'd be sure to get them back as they were. I also did as the manual states and made sure the two  arrows on the cam wheels were pointing toward each other (top dead center). The only thing is, the service manual also says I should pull the clutch cover and check the crank position to make sure it's at TDC. Is this really necessary? Maybe they state this assuming the cam chain has been removed along with the head? I made sure the crank wasn't turned while I re-torqued the head.

Thanks in advance!

JetdocX

Remove the clutch cover.  You'll thank me later.  Plus it gives you a handy place to grab to turn the engine over with a wrench to check your re-timing work. :wink:
From parts unknown.

rybes

if ive ever removed a head and cams ive always checked everythings at tdc before boltin it all down tight. saves for expensive mistakes and it only adds ten minutes  :wink:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

stopwatch

Well, after pulling the crank cover off (per the manual) no crank position sensor I can find. My Tiger is a 2001 955. The pics in the manual are of an 885. In a separate post someone said the 955 sensor in on the other end of the crank. That means it's on the left side near the alternator?
There are the T1, T2, & T3 marks on the end of the crank (right side) so it seems I would need a point of reference for the "T" marks. I don't know how to determine if the engine is for sure at TDC. The cam wheels have arrows and they both point toward each other which indicates TDC according to the manual. Some of you guys say I should check  TDC at the crank... BUT HOW? Help please...

Hey JetdocX, is yours a 955? If I pull the clutch cover, what points of reference do I use to determine TDC?

Thanks!

NKL

If its a 955 then its a round screw on cover on the end of the crank on the RHS
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

stopwatch

Thanks NKL. Iansoady fron the RAT forum showed me some info his manual has that shows the ref point for the T marks is inside the small round hole in the center of the right side cover.
Too bad I removed the engine guard AND pulled the entire cover off. Extra work plus a new gasket now. The 885 engine has the crank sensor as the point of reference for each of the T marks and the whole cover must be removed. I guess I've got one of the manuals nobody bothered to include with the 955 differences. :x

Thanks again...