News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

maintenance questions

Started by R0B, April 03, 2011, 04:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R0B

Hi Guys, I have a few questions I haven't  been able to find answers for and was looking for a bit of help please.

I'm off to France in 6 weeks, and I've been riding one of my tigers to make sure it's up to scratch. I have already identified DAR.

I fitted a MF Yuasa battery last year, and have just had it exchanged, as it seemed to have sulphated. The alternator is putting out a steady 14.3 volts, so I haven't got any concerns on the charging side......................however......

The bike seems slow to turn over and seems to be displaying the dreaded 'clunk' on hitting the starter motor.............however, when the bike is warm, it seems to turn over quicker, with no clunk........could I just have a problem battery?, would a battery down on power cause the starter sprag clunk without the sprag necessarily being fooked, and if so, where should I be looking for the solution to the problem.

If the sprag has gone, I have another tiger....................but it definitely has DAR, and recently ran rough and the rev counter wasn't working (dropped to zero) seemed that one of the pots was dead. I was going to leisurely fix it this summer, and had researched a bit on here........maybe it could be a defective coil or ignition sender.............any suggestions would be welcomed............

I definitely need to get one of them running, and would prefer to go with the first bike as it's relatively proven. The first is a '95 and the second a '96 with 16,ooo and 20,000 miles respectively.

thanks

Rob

rybes

have ya checked all ya electric connections ? have a look at ya battery terminals, engine and chassis ground, solenoid and starter motor. take em off n make sure there all clean. a dirty connection could cause ya problems
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

NeilD

I 'thought' (but dont 'know'  :) ) that with the sprag it either worked or it didnt.. the problem item is  basically a little spring isnt it, so once its knackered its knackered ? (I may be wrong though)...  I'm with Rybes though, go through all the earths etc, and could be a duff battery thats not performing under load when starting from cold.   also wonder if its the starter motor itself? off the top of my head, dunno how easy (or not) it is to swap over the starters between the bikes ?

R0B

I have the 'sprag is fooked' noise when cold (claxkety clack), but the battery sounds slow, but is brand new..............just pulled it off the bike and it shows 12.66 volts........however, once I'd ridden the bike today, sounded perfect on the starter.........no sprag noise, nuffink..............drove about 13 miles at speed, which I presume would have put some juice in the battery?.

I'm at a bit of a loss................

Rob

R0B

Well it seems I definitely have a goosed sprag. I'm going to have to get the engine out and fix it shortly. It's maybe not so bad, as I'd have to pull the clutch to fit the new alternator bolt, and the carbs etc needed to come out for a new airbox and rubbers, the exhaust had to come off for the centrestand.............so I was probably half way there...

I had an interesting day with the other tiger..........replaced the no.1 coil with a spare I had, it started and ran well............added some fuel I'd drained from another bike I've just bought as there was not a lot in the tiger, and then found out it mainly consisted of water..........having drained the tank and carbs, the bike starts on the button, but no tacho.........plugged in a spare I have and exactly the same.....no tacho..........so I guess it's a wiring fault in the loom and not on the tacho r it's subloom.........

Rob

Mustang

no tacho could be caused by the igniter not outputting signal for tach .

R0B

Hi Mustang, thanks for the reply......sounds expensive!!. I'll try the unit from my other tiger......should be an easy test. I do have a spare igniter from an early '93 tiger, but the wiring seems different with one less pin.

Rob

R0B

Right......................

Having established that the '93 igniter is not the same as the one on the '95 and '96 bikes, I've pulled the one off my other bike and tried it in the faulty one..................instant repair........so it is the igniter. The bike starts and runs perfectly with the faulty one, but the tacho is flopping at very low revs or off completely.

I emailed Gill today, they replied ...............Are you quite sure you've checked the wiring, and confirmed it's firing on all cylinders ? As far as I can see there's little to go wrong, which would only affect the tacho drive within the module..............

They unfortunately don't offer a repair service.

The other options are an Ignitech or to send it to Australia for repair. The main reason I'm posting is to let everyone know that this fault can occur.........up till running the bike, I wasn't convinced it would make an ounce of difference, and how wrong I was!! (thanks Mustang).