News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Running rich?

Started by D-Fuzz, April 30, 2011, 07:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Fuzz

Bugger!! :twisted:  I went for a ride today, pretty much the entire way battling a 40mph+ wind.  All but about 20 minutes was either into the wind or battling a heavy crosswind.  About 25 miles from home, I split off the pavement and took some backroads to get home.  At about the 140 miles mark, the bike all of a sudden bogged.  No matter how much throttle I gave it, I could only get about 40mph hour out of it.  Then it started to buck a little, so I turned it to reserve.  I continued on for 2-3 miles, then it died.  I looked at the inline filter I have was empty, so must be running out of gas.  I leaned the bike over onto its left side to get any remnants of fuel, but it sounded like there was still a fair bit in there.  I stood the bike back up, started it and rode home, no issues.  By the time I got home, I had about 160 miles on the tank.

When I got home, I drained the tank to see what was left, got about a gallon, so it wasn't that low.  I put everything back together with some new gas and started it up.  It seems to bog a bit around 1500rpm, then takes off.  I stalled it a couple times today, thought I was just being a ham-fisted amateur, but likely a result of that bogging.  As mentioned, I have an inline filter between the petcock and the carbs, and there is no crap plugging it, so I am not sure what the problem is.  

On a somewhat related note, I also notice that my fuel light is not working.  It worked fine when I put the bike away for the winter.  I checked the bulb, it was good.  I checked that there was power through the wires, they were good, so I assume it is the sensor in the tank.  Do I need a new one, or is there a magic fix?
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

dave NL

Sounds like the carbs are clogged a bit, you might need to clean them. You can try a feul additive to clean the carbs, it will desolve the crap inside the carbs, but you need to use fuel with additive, i mean don`t let it inside the tank for a couple of weeks, coz then your sure you will have to take the carbs off! Had the same :roll: hahaa, all dirt came loose inside and clogged all the jets! After cleaning it runs like a charm!
Getting the tiger back on the road.

MtheTiger

QuoteBugger!!  I went for a ride today, pretty much the entire way battling a 40mph+ wind. All but about 20 minutes was either into the wind or battling a heavy crosswind. About 25 miles from home, I split off the pavement and took some backroads to get home. At about the 140 miles mark, the bike all of a sudden bogged. No matter how much throttle I gave it, I could only get about 40mph hour out of it. Then it started to buck a little, so I turned it to reserve. I continued on for 2-3 miles, then it died. I looked at the inline filter I have was empty, so must be running out of gas. I leaned the bike over onto its left side to get any remnants of fuel, but it sounded like there was still a fair bit in there. I stood the bike back up, started it and rode home, no issues. By the time I got home, I had about 160 miles on the tank.

When I got home, I drained the tank to see what was left, got about a gallon, so it wasn't that low. I put everything back together with some new gas and started it up. It seems to bog a bit around 1500rpm, then takes off. I stalled it a couple times today, thought I was just being a ham-fisted amateur, but likely a result of that bogging. As mentioned, I have an inline filter between the petcock and the carbs, and there is no crap plugging it, so I am not sure what the problem is.

I experience the same symptoms when switching to reserve .... cleaned and rinsed my tank cause the reserve copper mesh was clogged with white stuff coming off the tank  :shock:  Last liter of gas looked like milk !!
carbs were clean, inline filter was clean and putting her back off reserve and on mains made the symptoms disappear.
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

D-Fuzz

Sounds about the same as what I have going on.  The next time I have the tank down near reserve, I will pull the petcock and give it a good cleaning.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"Sounds about the same as what I have going on.  The next time I have the tank down near reserve, I will pull the petcock and give it a good cleaning.
you have an inline filter ..........I recommend pulling the nylon filter socks off the main and reserve pipes when you pull the petcock out, and when you rejet your carbs properly make sure the nylon filter in the fuel pipe at the carb end has been removed .gas will flow much better

fishnbiker

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I looked at BikeBandit.  The prices are what they are, I guess, but their shipping rates to Canada are a bit steep, mostly because they use the Brown Truck folks.  Not much I can do though.  Probably a good time to order an airbox and a couple other things to make it worth my while.

Know anyone in the US who could take the USA only free delivery from UPS & redirect it through USPS?  This usually gets to me for just the postage. Once in a while the Canada Post add GST based on the customs declaration.

Make any trips across the 49th? I have a mailbox office just inside the border I check out everytime I visit Vancouver. So many online stores won't use the USPS that it forces us Northerners to get creative.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

D-Fuzz

So after draining the tank the other day, I put about 1/4 can of Seafoam in the tank with a couple gallons of gas.  I took it for a ride to get it circulating through the carbs, then let it sit for a couple days.  I started the bike up this morning, rode it over to the gas station and filled it up.  I then went for a nice ride in the country on some gravel back roads and gave it a good run.  It is running much, much better now.  The bogging is gone and I once again have the low-end power I was missing the other day.  The exhaust also didn't seem to smell quite as rich this morning, maybe because it was about 15 degrees warmer than it has typically been when I have been riding so far.  I actually got to ride without a liner in my jacket today.

I did notice a few oil drips on my garage floor.  Upon inspection, it appeared to be weeping a bit from the oil pressure switch.  I took a wrench and snugged it up a tiny bit and it appears to have stopped.  Life is bliss! :D
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

yep sea foam , I had to dump 1/2 can in my 98 and the rest in the 95 this spring . the ethanol f**ked everything up this winter .
the hacked 98 started and ran fine but I been using that one on and off all winter .

When the pilot circuit sits all winter with no use there are always cobwebs in the spring .

and BTW it will run better if it's rich in the cold than rich in the warm weather. :wink:

Nick Calne

Is there no-one nearby you like these carb guys?

http://www.jrs.uk.com

Steamers are old bikes now, a proper restoration of the carbs might prove a good investment if you wanna keep it for a long time.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?