News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I'm done with AGM

Started by 97tiger885, July 06, 2011, 07:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I just killed my 3rd AGM battery in the last 2- 2 1/2 years.  I am going back to a cheap regular acid cell battery.  Talked to a guy with a Concours and he said he had a similar experience.  His take was this was the result of the engines throwing an excessive amount of heat at the battery and "cooking" it.   Liquid is lost through venting at an excessive rate eventually resulting in premature battery death.

metalguru

Don't know if you can get these over there Motobatt YB14L-A2 Gel but found these to give excellent performance and long life, or am I just lucky?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

JetdocX

I'm on my first one still after four years.  Don't know what I might be doing right besides keep in it on a battery tender at night. :roll:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

no tender at night no fussin about , I just put a new 40 dollar wally world lead acid battery in the tiggers every spring , cheap as chips and oh so effective . :D

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"no tender at night no fussin about , I just put a new 40 dollar wally world lead acid battery in the tiggers every spring , cheap as chips and oh so effective . :D

I do tender at night.  I have powerlets on both mcs; so, plugging in the tender is easy.  My only concern is with the CCA in cold weather.   My mcs live outside and I ride down to about 20F.  I need the cranking power after a night of 15F.  The AGM/BMWK100 combo seems fine which is strange.  The K throws as much heat as the Tiger, but then I don't ride it very often.  We will see what Winter brings.

How often do you need to add distilled H20?  I went to AGM for two reasons: maintenance free and no spilling on tipover.  I am very lazy when it comes to checking the battery fluid level.  On the K bikes, it required a bit of disassembly.  At least the Tiger is easy for battery removal.

Mustang

Quote from: "97tiger885"How often do you need to add distilled H20?

never see below :ImaPoser

Quote from: "97tiger885"................... I am very lazy when it comes to checking the battery fluid level.  
that's why I just throw a new one in from wally world every springtime

oxnsox

Quote from: "97tiger885"... (edit)... His take was this was the result of the engines throwing an excessive amount of heat at the battery and "cooking" it.  
Nice theory, but I'm not convinced.... Otherwise we'd see most every bike owner with the same problem.
(Although having said that, how you sit on your bike and where/how you position your legs may have an affect on the airflow over both the rectifier//regulator and the battery....)

Quote from: "97tiger885"Liquid is lost through venting at an excessive rate eventually resulting in premature battery death.
Overcharging will have the same effect
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nightrunner

Something to check is the battery voltage with the bike running.  Rev it to maybe 2500 RPM and note the voltage at the batt terminals.  Then find the voltage sensor wire going to the regulator.  Trace it back to the reg and measure the voltage there.  It should be the same.  Any difference at all means the reg is sensing less than correct batt voltage and sending too much charging current.  I have not heard of this problem on the steamer but its pretty common on the old Transalp.  I found a full volt difference in the two readings on my T/A.  The culprit is corrosion somewhere in that circuit.   Just something to check.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

97tiger885

Quote from: "oxnsox"Overcharging will have the same effect

Maybe my smart charger isn't so smart after all.

+++++++++
Jon

TripleTragic

I have heard a number of comments regarding the reasonable high output of the Triumph alternators. When I was running a voltmeter I have certainly seen it sit as high as 14.5V.
Apparently this will affect different battery type differently. Lead acid will cope with it best, sealed gel the worst. Although you do need to keep an eye on fluid levels...unless of course you are using a.steady supply from wally world!
Good things come in Threes

Mustang

Quote from: "TripleTragic"...unless of course you are using a.steady supply from wally world!
:ImaPoser