News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly load capacity

Started by dino246, April 19, 2011, 01:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dino246

I am new here but have been lurking around for a while and I have a question. I would like to know how much weight is too much to load onto the back of a Girly Tiger. I am planning a trip and bike will have two adults and enough stuff for 2 weeks of traveling though Mexico. I just dont want to hurt the tiger.

cbxtc6

From my (06') Owner's Handbook;
"Never exceed the maximum vehicle loading weight of 455lbs (207kg)."

So, if you're ~20 stone, your missus, luggage, etc. had better be fairly small.

dino246

Thank you so very much for your responce.

oldbanker2003

Or ignore that and load her up like the pack tiger she is!
2 up in the Pyrenees and Picos last year no problem's

:lol:

Sasquatch

Before I started dieting, I weighed in at 437 lbs, and have aluminum panniers, and frequently ran fully loaded.

Other than replacing the rear shock with a much better one, no problems.

Well, I do tend to wear out rear tires quickly....

NKL

If you can wind the preload up enough to give a sensible amount of sag its fine!!!!!Thats the limiting factor really
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

rybes

i know it aint a girly its a steamy but i figured i was about 50 kg over weight once me n the missus got on. took it to denmark and it worked lovely. front wqas a bit light but after a few miles i sussed it  :wink:

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

jphish

Sasquatch - 467# !?!  Really ?  Can see why you went into the suspension business.  What have you gotten down to ?  I hear folks complain about the suspension on Girlies like mine - but at 170# - not sure if I'm even compressing the rear shock. But at 5'8 I also can just barely get my toes down - which on uneven pavement can be a bit 'puckery'. Dont imagine you have that problem. Cheers, j

brad1098

Turn the rear shock up all the way.  Load her up and go.

The real question may be, You are going on a 2 week trip to Mexico 2 up and that is your only question  :shock:

Have a good trip!!
02 black-Lorna

Sasquatch

Quote from: "jphish"Sasquatch - 467# !?!  Really ?  Can see why you went into the suspension business.  What have you gotten down to ?  I hear folks complain about the suspension on Girlies like mine - but at 170# - not sure if I'm even compressing the rear shock. But at 5'8 I also can just barely get my toes down - which on uneven pavement can be a bit 'puckery'. Dont imagine you have that problem. Cheers, j

437#, not 467.

I am down to 380 now.  I have been working out pretty hard so I am building quite a bit of bulk muscle.  Also working with a counselor on my food addiction issues and it seems to be helping.

The stock shock is pretty crap on the Tiger.  Wish I could do something with them but cant.  I put a Hyperpro on mine since I am a dealer for them I figured I better run their shock.  I am quite impressed.  Good shock at a price that does not kill you.

Sasquatch

That was a bit spammy, my apologies to the list.

jphish

Spammy ? appologies ? Naa - Legit response to the topic...Weight & suspension questions. So - Just got back from a fishing trip to Pyramid lake Nv (was great BTW - Cutts up to 9 lbs on chronomids) Anyway - the paved 445 road ended & we thought "well how far can it be to 395?" About 75 mi of dirt - pretty wash boarded, and some pretty torn up sections that obviously got thrashed this winter when wet - thus, some deep legacy ruts that ya gotta pay attention to. My point here is that I think the stock Girly suspension on my 06 is pretty darn solid. We were generally running  50 / 60 mph on the strait sections - that speed smoothed out the road pretty well. (It was actually a lot worse at 35-40 mph) It was me, @ 175# & around 50#'s of gear in side & top cases. Never bottomed out. Also made me re-appreciate the Girlies many qualities - GREAT adventure-fishing-camping machine. Was 6* F in Chemult Ore this morning - started right up! Did someone say spring was here ?!

Robbie

try and get weight balanced and low!

simples as the meerkat's say

I think he had ideas on my seat cover!!
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger