News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil leak????

Started by jrockrat, October 21, 2010, 01:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrockrat

I've got a 99 tiger and it's leaking oil somewhere on the right side (if you're sitting on the bike, oil sight glass side).  I thought it was the valve cover so I took it apart and used some appropriate rtv on the gasket. Unfortunately something is still leaking. It's hard to pin point because after riding I've basically got oil from the valve cover to the oil pan. There is some around the front side of the motor as well but mostly along the right side. Again it may still be the valve cover gasket and I need to go get a new one, but I'm looking for other ideas if there are any that might direct me to look elsewhere as well. I'm getting tired of covering my leg in oil. :)
Thanks

John Stenhouse

Almost certainly valve cover, the new gasket and some sealnt will cure it
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

jrockrat

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring too and actually hoping it is, other than wishing I'd done that in the first place.  :roll: and now having to tear into it again. Oh well I'm getting pretty intimate with the bike and I've only known her for about 3 weeks now.  :lol:

John Stenhouse

I know the feeling, had to do exactly the same to mine, tank off in ten minutes now!  :lol:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

jrockrat

Well I finally found the issue not sure how I missed it the first time other than I wasn't looking for it where it was. The cam cover had a crack in it!!

Took her out for a 50 mile spin the other day and no oil leaking down the side of the bike and all over my pants!!  :D
I don't know how the PO did it or what happened but I'm glad to have it finally fixed!![/img]