News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cush drive damage

Started by wesseld, May 03, 2011, 01:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesseld

Hey all,

I've been scouring the TigerTriple.com forum and others trying to find a cause and fix for the grinding sounds & feeling coming from the rear wheel on my 2006 Tiger with about 7500 miles on it. I have replaced both sprockets and chain, and had all 3 rear bearings replaced, but the sound/feeling did not go away.

While reading through some older posts, I realized that the cush drive/sprocket carrier is easily removed from the rear wheel, so I decided to check out the rubber thingy inside that over the weekend. Once I cleaned things up, I noticed some damage on both the wheel center and the cush drive/sprocket carrier where the parts overlap. The first two pictures show inside of the cush drive (the side where the rubber thingys go), and the second two show the inside of the sprocket side of the wheel.

Looks like something got trapped between the overlapping parts and was grinding up the surfaces.  As a fix, I got some emery paper and sanded down all the high spots so when i put the cush drive back on the wheel (without the rubber thingy) it would rotate without interference.  I then reassembled the cush and rubber thingy onto the wheel (used some Windex as a lubricant  8), and went for about a 100 mile ride.  The grinding sound/feeling is finally gone!

Thanks go out to the forum for helping me work this out.  I hope this helps someone with similar problems.

Cheers!

Don
Silver 2006 Triumph Tiger

chairhead

Don i could be wrong but,
the steel band you have in your wheel is i belive suppose to sit on the the sprocket carrier,i does on mine

like i said i could be wrong,and if you have cured the noise thats great :D
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

wesseld

That steel band does overlap the part on the sprocket carrier, but judging by the rough machining done on the overlapping surfaces, these surfaces were never meant to be touching, just a close clearance.  The remaining parts of the overlapping surfaces are clean and gouge free.  

Here is another photo of the wheel showing the side opposite the damage.  Hopefully you can see the rough machining marks, and lack of damage.  From what I can tell, the bearing in the sprocket carrier keeps it centered with the wheel, so the surfaces should never touch.

Silver 2006 Triumph Tiger