News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

WTB Girly windshield

Started by bjago, April 27, 2011, 01:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjago

I am getting ready for a long weekend trip from Wa to Ut and my new to me Girly came with the stock shield and a sports shield. I was looking for a touring type shield for my Girly. I'm 6'2" and broad shouldered. So conventional wisdom in the forum says I should look for a Palmer or MRA Vario. Does anyone possible have an unused or unwanted touring shield?  

Think through the spares in the garage all you fellow Girly owners.  

Thanks
05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

Dred

I have a proposition for yah.

I'll even up trade my MRA Vario for your sports shield.

I'm 6'3" on a Corbin and much of my riding is 2-up.  The Vario is not making the grade for my needs.  In fact, I'm ordering a Palmer next week.

I won't have use for my vario once I get it replaced, and a Sports Shield will work just as well while I wait on the Palmer (Large with bracketry).

I won't have a spare until I get the Palmer and I ride daily, so, how soon do you need the Vario?

Picture taken yesterday.

Dred

bjago

Quote from: "Dred"I have a proposition for yah.

I'll even up trade my MRA Vario for your sports shield.

I'm 6'3" on a Corbin and much of my riding is 2-up.  The Vario is not making the grade for my needs.  In fact, I'm ordering a Palmer next week.

I won't have use for my vario once I get it replaced, and a Sports Shield will work just as well while I wait on the Palmer (Large with bracketry).

I won't have a spare until I get the Palmer and I ride daily, so, how soon do you need the Vario?

Picture taken yesterday.

My sports screen is Lucifer orange and I was intending on keeping it for summer use.  I can wait if you were willing to sell me the MRA once your Palmer comes in. I am taking my trip at the end of May, so I have time.
Keep me informed and thanks.

Dred
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

Dred

I'll let you know when my Palmer arrives.  I will be ordering it on the 31st or 1st (payday).  I'm riding the midwest and northeast in mid June and this is very high on my list of priorities.  The Vario is yours for the cost of shipping.  Deal is:  you donate it if it doesn't work out for you.  I'd estimate that I'm about 5" too tall for this fairing to be effective - YMMV, particularly if you're running your seat on the low setting.

Keep reading.  I know the Vario was the now now fix, but it seems it may be a then then post-Palmer.  The Vario isn't making it for me.  I could probably live with it riding solo, but too much of my riding has a passenger and the mix creates a perfect storm for me to endure.  My wife even noted the amount of work I'm doing to keep my head steady when she's on the back.  It is definately a workout.

At any rate, I'm going to order the tall fairing.  I'd prefer to mount the medium, but I need insurance that I can escape the beating I'm getting.  I've never ridden a Tiger with any other fairing, but I'm honestly not impressed.

bjago

That's a hell of a deal and I will take you up on it.  Keep me I formed on the progress of your Palmer and I will send you the cost to send out the MRA.

I will for sure pass on the good Karma of a comfortable shield if it doesn't work for me.  

Thanks again.
Brent
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

Putts255

I got the Vario for Christmas from my kids.

I have only had the chance to ride a couple times this year.  

My bike had the Cee Bailey tall screen when I bought it from the previous owner.  It is okay for speeds less than 40 miles an hour or so but at 65 or 70 forget it.  It rattles my head like a jar of jelly beans on the dash of a car heading down a bumpy road.  

The Vario is better at 60 to 70 mph.  I have not had a lot of time in the seat yet so not totally convinced it will suit my planned trips this summer.  Might even drill a couple holes in the Cee Bailey and mount the flip up part of the vario to it to see if it helps.  

One heck of a good deal to offer a free Vario except for shipping.  I wish I had that passed on to me before I told the kids what I wanted for Christmas... ;)  

By the way I am 6'4" inseam about 33 inches so probably sit about the same height as you do.  

Either way Dred, you are good man.  By the way what are you paying to have the Palmer,if you do not mind me asking?

Cheers,

Paul
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Dred

Ouch!

219 pounds translated to $375 US.  But, I punched the pay now and the wait begins.  I ordered Tall Tinted Screen, 955i bracketry, tool less adjuster knobs, eyebrow thing for tall screen and their dancy sticker for my HTs in case folks don't notice the freaky, funky windscreen of their design on the front of the bike.  

At $375 (two centerstands worth of investment), I have high hopes.  A month ago I would have kept shopping at a third the cost.  But a month ago, I'd not ridden a Girly 2-up at 90 mph, so ... things changed.  If I'm away for a bit ... the wife has revoked my interweb privelidges (I estimated $300, but I'm sure she'll deny hearing the cost, but I did it for her comfort so I'll be forgiven ... eventually).

Anyway, I'm releasing the MRA Vario as soon as the new toy/replacement arrives.  PM me your ship to.  I'll shoot you the cost after it's en route with tracking number.

Thsi was a major purchase so I re-read a truly entertaining review - I highly recommend this review and I'd subscribe to an editorial series by this author.  I wish I could write this well:  http://www.adventurebikerider.com/compo ... iewed.html

Dred

bjago

86 Ninja 600 (sold)

jphish

Greetings: You wont regret the Palmer bracket / screen set up. Have one on my Uly & Girly. I'm only 5'8" so medium screen works for me. It aint cheep - but reduces buffeting / increases comfort by noticable margin. I figure to keep the Girly for many more years - so investment, on per mile basis, is well worthwhile.  I can now hear the sound of the motor - of course, that was never a problem with the Buell. Enjoy!

Dred

free beer for everybody ... My Palmer arrived today.  Wife is skeptical - she thinks the large screen looks small.  I figure she's still got a bit of regret over my decision to let go of the valkyrie interstate.  And the offer of pillion as we depart cross country on the diminutive (by comparison) Tigger has her concerned.

At any rate ... I'm a happy camper.

Here's the first pic with Palmer nearly installed.  Note of location should also complete a cycle - the MRA (boxed on back) is on its way to a new home.

bjago

Quote from: "Dred"free beer for everybody ... My Palmer arrived today.  Wife is skeptical - she thinks the large screen looks small.  I figure she's still got a bit of regret over my decision to let go of the valkyrie interstate.  And the offer of pillion as we depart cross country on the diminutive (by comparison) Tigger has her concerned.

Here's the first pic with Palmer nearly installed.  Note of location should also complete a cycle - the MRA (boxed on back) is on its way to a new home.

Hope the Palmer works out for ya, the interwebs seem to aim at the Palmer as a great shield
Sweet,
I am excited at the prospect of a replacement for the stock touring shield.

Thanks again Dred
Your the best.
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

atokad

Quote from: "Dred"free beer for everybody ... My Palmer arrived today.  Wife is skeptical - she thinks the large screen looks small.  I figure she's still got a bit of regret over my decision to let go of the valkyrie interstate.  And the offer of pillion as we depart cross country on the diminutive (by comparison) Tigger has her concerned.

Dred, did you get the dark tint? Please report back how you like it after your trip. I am basically the same height, etc as you and have only had the Vario since getting my bike 15k miles ago.  Have been "plotting" my Palmer purchase too but have not been able to decide between, large vs medium, and tint choices, as well as when I can afford it$$$  I guess if I recoup a few $$ from the Vario once I get the Palmer that will help.  I just mounted the Touratech Crash bars last night and the $300+ purchases I make for this bike just don't happen one right after the other, so it may be a bit before I get the Palmer.  Then the tank bag, and the Centech wiring block with relay, wireless Sennheiser speakers/mike, Scotts oiler, rear shock .....  

I do love my Tiger but have been thinking it would be better to just get a Valkyrie to add for touring and leave the Tiger mostly stock as it is a really good bike for short jaunts, fire roads etc.  Although I think riding it to AK and back would be quite doable.

Thanks and good luck, hope you don't want your Vario back.  
Oh well.... let me know about the Palmer!