News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

RESOLVED - Engine runing wide open (WOT) but throttle closed

Started by oradbaforpsoft, May 07, 2011, 11:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oradbaforpsoft

Background:
I just got back from the Ozarks RAT Raid, and had the tank and air box off to diagnose why my horns had stopped working. Turns out they had filled up with water, and worked ok after getting most of the water out.
While I had the tank off I replaced the airbox with a 'modded' one - extra airflow. I have the tank on a table next to the bike and long fuel hoses to test. I  was excited  to hear what she would sound like with the opened up air box.
Problem:
When I start up the bike , with throttle closed, it fires up and immediately jumps to wide-open throttle.
I replaced the airbox with the original and at startup it jumps to 6000+ rpm. If I touch the throttle it redlines before I can shut it down.
Any ideas what else to check?
I have tuneECU plugged in and no error codes showed up - initially there was one for the fuel sensor and a high voltage indicator on the fuel pump but I reset it after I plugged them both in.
I am out of town from tomorrow and have a track day the day I get back into town, so I need it working today.
Any help will be appreciated
 :?:
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange

Hassan

Check out your Tps' socket.It might be unplugged.

If it's plugged,look at the throttle bodies,a few percentage of opening can cause huge rpm's.

Maybe you made the throttle cable stuck at somewhere while tryin' to plug the new airbox?

IACV can't make the bike reach 6000 rpm's so I'm not suspectin' it.

Good luck.
\'99 885i

oradbaforpsoft

Quote from: "Hassan"Check out your Tps' socket.It might be unplugged.

CHECKED OK

If it's plugged,look at the throttle bodies,a few percentage of opening can cause huge rpm's.

AHA!

Maybe you made the throttle cable stuck at somewhere while tryin' to plug the new airbox?

YEP!

IACV can't make the bike reach 6000 rpm's so I'm not suspectin' it.

PHEW!

Good luck.

RESOLVED: I had used a tie down to keep the bars out of the way, and it was just enough to pull the throttle cable. I noticed that the butterflies were not completely closed and that led me to moving the throttle cable around. It's amazing how a 'little' gap in the throttle bodies can make such a big difference!

I am a dumbass - but the problem is fixed, and the airbox mod seems to give a little crisper throttle response - at least in the garage.  I will find out on the track if it is a significant enough change to get excited about.
Thanks for the prompt response.
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange