News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hard pannier system for Steamer.

Started by Mick62, March 23, 2012, 09:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick62

Hi All, new to the site and looking at buying my 1st Tiger,  Like the look of the early carb'd models and given that they've been out there a while I wondered what pannier system people have found that worked best on these bikes, Looking at practicality/value for money and volume, rather than posing value. Cheers All.   Mike.

GatorTiger

Hi,

Me gots a Givi setup on my '94:

Without side boxes (ignore the other orange and blue...  8)  ):

With side boxes (photo ADVRider's mike_k):

You will have to replace the luggage rack with a Givi specific one. From what I remember there are a few diff ones out there...

Cheers,
HG
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

MarkShelley

Join the queue :(
There are no hard luggage systems available any longer.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

rf9rider

Hepco and becker still make one for the Steamer  :)

And welcome to the forum

GatorTiger

Quote from: "rf9rider"Hepco and becker still make one for the Steamer  :)

The side cases are REALLY low on that one. Apart from lean-angle-clearance-issues it looks, err, rather odd!  :wink:

Find'em here: http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Web/bike.php?language=2&Hersteller=TRIUMPH&Modell=Tiger

Cheers,
HG
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

Mick62

Cheers for the prompt replies, food for thought there,  Given the styling of the Tiger, simple robust Ally Boxes would do the job and might be something I could get fabricated,  might be worth experimenting in plywood to get ideas of size/shape etc,  will have to give it some more thought.  Steamer suits "Utility" look in my eyes anyway, Mike.

harre

I have SW-motech TRAX alu cases, these are good value for money. Problem is of course to find a rack. I managed to find a Steamer-built 5-stars Givi rack on eBay in Germany. To attach the TRAX cases to this rack I use a Trax adapter plate which is just a flat frame that bolts to the Givi rack. It would be possible to just buy this adapter plate and make brackets to fit it to the frame, it is really sturdy. But perhaps the best option if you want the TRAX cases is to fit the TRAX EVO carrier using modified brackets. I can check this in a few weeks since I will try to fit an Africa Twin EVO carrier to my XTZ 750 Super Tenure. It's typical, for all bikes I buy there are no aftermarket parts available, maybe because I only buy bikes that are at least ten years old...

harre

I have SW-motech TRAX alu cases, these are good value for money. Problem is of course to find a rack. I managed to find a Steamer-built 5-stars Givi rack on eBay in Germany. To attach the TRAX cases to this rack I use a Trax adapter plate which is just a flat frame that bolts to the Givi rack. It would be possible to just buy this adapter plate and make brackets to fit it to the frame, it is really sturdy. But perhaps the best option if you want the TRAX cases is to fit the TRAX EVO carrier using modified brackets. I can check this in a few weeks since I will try to fit an Africa Twin EVO carrier to my XTZ 750 Super Tenure. It's typical, for all bikes I buy there are no aftermarket parts available, maybe because I only buy bikes that are at least ten years old...

Mick62

Harre, that looks the business!

Sin_Tiger

Word of warning.

Just back from the workshop, had to leave the Steamer there! Both legs of the sub frame cracked through just in front of the seat catch cross member  :shock:

Never heard of anyone else reporting this.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

its common on the early steamers , in 97 or 98 they added a steel gusset to the subframe to prevent that ,
My 96 has had a homemade gusset added to it by the previous owner .

i'll post a pic later today of what the 98's subframe looks like from the factory to solve that frame cracking issue .

bunker

Through a series of fortunate e-bay transactions, i managed to get a Nonfango setup - the panniers and topbox i already had, the pannier kit was NOS and cost 7 quid, and the topbox arms were 40 quid minus the rear mounting bracket which a made up in the garage:

Tiger 885

MarkShelley

I had an hour to spare at the weekend and dug out an old wingrack system I had stashed in the garage. It used to be fitted to my old XTZ660. I reckon I have come up with a pretty simple way of attaching it using the standard rear rack as the main support. I need to get a few nut/bolts and make up a couple of stays, but I will post pics in due course.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

Sin_Tiger

Thanks Mustang, that's what I have asked the welder to do after TIG'ing the cracks. God I miss not having a workshop  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint