News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another possible charge thread....Sorry

Started by bjago, May 19, 2011, 01:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjago

I recently picked up an 05 Tiger and while riding lately I've noticed my voltage varies a lot from 13.5 v with the throttle off (no load) at approx. 4000rpm, to 12.2v with the throttle twisted and the bike under load.  I can't remember if this is normal. I've had the bike for 4 months and about 3k miles and it has 20k miles.  I have taken the connectors apart from the stator on from the regulator. There is no corrosion and they have dielectric grease applied. The battery looks original but always starts up even on the cold NW weather we have had lately. Te voltage regulator doesn't feel especially warm been after a 70 mile ride. I am getting ready for a 2000 mile round trip ride to the WSBK races in Salt Lake City and this is my only concern for the trip. Please reassure me or should I get a replacement battery and be prepared for a regulator. Thanks
05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

bjago

Nevermind, I think I actually have the issue figured out/
I am using a Aerostitch voltmeter, clock, temp gauge. I checked directly at the battery and the voltage is on average .8v up to 1v above what the small Aerostitch meter showed.
Its another case of a bad Aerostitch voltmeter. But it still provides me with at least a close enough voltage to remain useful at this time.

Problem averted at this time.
05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)