News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First thoughts and questions on 705's and Dynabeads

Started by hooligan971, May 14, 2011, 04:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooligan971

So when I bought the 99 last august it had the original T66's and just over 2000 miles. I had originally thought they were put on soon before I bought it but that was a mixup in note taking between this bike and another I had looked at. I know I should have spooned on a new set of tires before I rode it home to Va from Ny, but being the cheap SOB that I am, and with the t66's looking perfect, I have ridden on them ever since. 6000 mi back and forth through Va, Md, Nj, Ny, and Wv . I always kept a close eye on them and never saw sign for concern, but I finally decided to buy new tires, even though the old ones still had 1/2 their tread. Tubes still were like new so I think I could have gone a few thousand mi. more, but now I have the better piece of mind of new tires and tubes.
 The Tiger is my first DP bike, but other than the crappy stock suspension, it handled fairly similar to other bikes I've had, it just fits me better. I'm tall so that was my main attraction to the bike. The old tires worked and were up to the type of riding the suspension will allow. The new tires are Shinko 705's and ride different than any I've used on other bikes. A little squirrely on bridges and tar snakes and very heavy steering. Actually, I seem to have to steer around corners completely opposite of what I'm used to. Instead of pushing the side I'm turning to I have to kind of steer towards the turn. Is this the nature of the on/off road tires ? Other than that, the Shinkos do perform good on pavement, feeling very planted in the corners. I also tried Dynabeads for the first time, so maybe that has something to do with the heavy steering but the tires seem perfectly balanced at all speeds. I hope they work as advertised to improve tread life, but hate that I've got all the investment in balancing equipment. Either way, I think the next set of tires will be a little more street oriented.
 By the way, Thanks to the guys that helped me out with the cush drive bushing thingamabobber this morning.
    Patrick
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

Mustang

give the shinkos a couple hundred miles and keep the air psi at 42 front 38-40 rear and they come into things nicely .
the squirrely front will settle down nicely .
Triumph picked the t-66s because they are very neutral , meaning they don't have that fall over in the turn feeling . was a good confidence inspiration for the tall ass top heavy pig .
Give the new tires a couple hundred and you wont notice anymore .
I remember the first set of dunlops I put on tigger 2 after the t-66's I wanted to replace them immediately because they didn't feel like t-66s , felt like the bike was going to fall over at low speeds .
and I had a metzler me77 once on the front that was so bad you had to force it over in the turns .
all tires have their little quirks . the shinkos do come into it nicely though .

hooligan971

Thanks Mustang, I was just searching for posts for tips on psi. Only found one and it was by you. By the way, do you still have any of the shim adjustment tools left ?
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

Mustang

Quote from: "hooligan971"By the way, do you still have any of the shim adjustment tools left ?
always ....................

D-Fuzz

Quote from: "Mustang"I remember the first set of dunlops I put on tigger 2 after the t-66's I wanted to replace them immediately because they didn't feel like t-66s , felt like the bike was going to fall over at low speeds .
all tires have their little quirks . the shinkos do come into it nicely though .

I certainly feel like that with the Kenda Big Blocks I put on.  Hard knobby tires and asphalt make it feel like I am riding on marbles.  Maybe I will get used to it, or maybe I will end up changing tires again.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

hooligan971

I put about 600 miles on this weekend. I aired them up to the psi suggested by Mustang and it did make a difference for the better. I did notice that with 40 psi cold, the rear pressure goes up to near 50psi hot. I don't suppose that's a problem but to tell the truth I've never paid that much attention to the difference in hot/cold pressures. The front only went up 3 psi. I really wish I had balanced with lead first, as usual, just so I would know what the tires are like with and without the Dynabeads, but I am impressed with the grip on pavement. These tires stick way better than I expected.
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

Bob Tosi

QuoteI certainly feel like that with the Kenda Big Blocks I put on. Hard knobby tires and asphalt make it feel like I am riding on marbles. Maybe I will get used to it, or maybe I will end up changing tires again.

I am running the Kenda Big Blocks at 38psi front and rear.  I used 2 ozs of Dynabeads in the rear, 1 oz in the front per the recommendation of the manufacturer.  My experience is that they ride like glass on the road.  I dont push hard in the turns but I feel confident and dont have that "want to tip over feeling".

Seems like an excellant setup for me.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

hooligan971

I got to put in a few hundred miles yesterday and found out I'm getting a really bad front end shake over 80 MPH. Not abrupt but bad enough. Feels like the front end wants to come off the road and wobble back and forth but under 80 feels perfect . Now is really when I wish I had tried the new tires with conventional weights first. I don't know if it's the beads or the tire  :evil:
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)