News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

single exhaust for a 98 Steamer

Started by Bob Tosi, February 09, 2011, 04:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

So I have been think about what I want my Steamer to be.  I think I want to go in the "Rally Style" direction so I will need a single exhaust.  Is there a source for these in the after market parts category or do you have to have a custom exhaust fabricated?   What about mufflers ?  Does you gut a stock one and use it or go with some aftermarket product?  

What I am chasing is sort of what Patrick or Rocinate have done just to give you an idea.  What I want is a more dirt oriented Tiger that I can travel and comute on and get her nice and dirty on the weekend.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Colonel Nikolai

I think rocanante found a stainless daytona single exhaust system that fit the steamer. He took it to a muffler shop and bent the end to bring it up high. Says it was the best thing he did to reduce weight on the steamer. Check it out, its here somewhere.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Bob Tosi

hey thanks.  what about the muffler?  Could you use a FMF or something else?  And the critical question would be jetting?  Mustang where are you?

Mustang

you must fabricate it to do what you want.

9 times out of ten an exhaust for a carburetor bike requires no jetting changes (other than fixing the lean factory jetting ) unless you have made other serious mods to bike
like increased compression
modified intake for more air
cams

the only real benefit to you for what you want is to trim some weight down .

an fmf can is going to be loud and around here a loud exhaust is going to be an announcement that you are trying to ride your bike off road where you are not welcome

Stealth baby , quiet , slip in slip out . Nobody hears you having fun so you don't get hassled

D-Fuzz

The question is how much weight would you save and is it worth the expense and hassle to get it done?
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Rocinante

You donĀ“t only save weight by going to a lightweight (and slightly noisier) can, you also move the centre of gravity lower, cause most of the 9-10 kg you strip off sits in the muffler.

I bought a Norman Hyde that fits a same year Sprint. You have to bend it upwards behind the pegs. I did this in one bend, but wish I hade done several small bends instead. The walls are paper thin and cave in easily.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Bob Tosi

QuoteStealth baby , quiet , slip in slip out . Nobody hears you having fun so you don't get hassled

You sly dog, you  Mustang.

So do you have any recomendations on the muffler.  Can the single form the stock be gutted somewhat and used?  Sort of like a "canisterectomy"?

Mustang

fishnbiker

You can think outside the box!  I went to Ebay & found a GSXR Titanium can ($50.00) that I mounted where I wanted it. I took the bike in my truck down to a muffler shop (Midas) & had them build the intermediate pipe from my Girly header to the can for $70.00. Genuine Harley heat shield, free from a buddy. The LHS stock can was traded for a 4" tube for storage. The Gixr can & intermediate pipe weigh in under 4kg/9lbs for a huge weight saving. You could use any performance pipe for a machine 900cc or larger.

This next job would be considered viable only for compulsive tinkerers only

The Girly headers needed to be cut below the exhaust outlets & extended, RHS at 3/4 inch, Centre at 1", LHS at 1& 1/4". I sleeved the cut with stainless & had a a welding shop weld it back together while mounted on the bike for proper alignment. Another $60.00. I also obtained another engine guard that I cut apart & reworked to fit over the Girly header, then made up a belly pan to protect it all.  

Right now,Felix is all over the basement right now, getting its swing arm maintenance & a new chain slider

Cost of $120 to ceramic coat the lot. Oh, plus about 10 hours fiddling & driving to shops. Final exhaust bill, about $300
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Bixxer Bob

Just goes to show what can be achieved (and what can be saved) with a bit of effort.  As Steamers get older this sort of thing is going to be more prevalent.  Well done mate  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bob Tosi

QuoteYou can think outside the box! I went to Ebay & found a GSXR Titanium can ($50.00) that I mounted where I wanted it. I

how much did this weigh?  Any issues with flow or jetting?

fishnbiker

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"
QuoteYou can think outside the box! I went to Ebay & found a GSXR Titanium can ($50.00) that I mounted where I wanted it. I

how much did this weigh?

The new system with the Titanium can & intermediate pipes are 9lbs. the originals are 22lbs for the mufflers plus maybe another 4 lbs for the connector / crossover pipe for 26 lbs vs 9 lbs. BIG weight savings.

Any issues with flow or jetting?

The jetting proved to be similar to my twin Kerker glass packs & custom K & N airbox I used in the past ... #130 mains with the stock needle on the middle notch. Any pipe that's designed for a larger high performance engine should have enough flow  to accommodate the Tiger engine ... 900cc or larger, whatever fits the pipe diameter with mounting bracket lining up. The biggest issue was getting the new muffler located correctly to look good.  I had to fabricate a small Z shaped bracket to fit the can to the original muffler mounting location. Midas muffler shop filled in the gaps with new aluminized pipe which was then ceramic coated.

The attached photo shows the mock up stage with wooden block & duct tape holding the can in place to fabricate the bracket & connector pipe
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

D-Fuzz

Seeing that the majority of the weight savings is in the mufflers, wouldn't it be nearly as effective to just replace the 2 Triumph mufflers with a couple titanium GSXR mufflers?  If would save a whole bunch of hassle with re-routing the tubing and such.  I guess if your exhaust system has seen better days, it might be worth the extra bit.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

fishnbiker

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"Seeing that the majority of the weight savings is in the mufflers, wouldn't it be nearly as effective to just replace the 2 Triumph mufflers with a couple titanium GSXR mufflers?  If would save a whole bunch of hassle with re-routing the tubing and such.  I guess if your exhaust system has seen better days, it might be worth the extra bit.

Keep us up to date on the details.

Sounds like you may be onto another option. Anyone who can bend a piece of metal could do that with some guidance. Call on the muffler shops nearby & show them my photos for an estimate. Good hunting for the cans.

I went with the 3 into 1 system after about 7 years with the small Kerkers on the original headers & crossover pipe. I came across a Girly header cheap enough to try cutting it up for experiments which finally came online 2 years ago.
Ken/Fishnbiker

harre

Check this post for an update on the Daytona/Speed Triple downpipes:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 0654#70654