News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How To get Factory Heated Grip Wire Out of Handlebars???

Started by jwray76, June 12, 2011, 05:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwray76

Hey guys. I bent my bars and am getting ready to replace them with some new OEM bars. I have everything apart and the heated grips unpluged. Problem is I can't figure out how the wire was placed through the bar.

I am guessing that the heated grip wire was fished through the bars and then the white plastic connector put on the wires afterwards. Problem is I can't figure out how to get these wires back out of the connector so that I can push the wires through the small hole in the handlebars.

Other problem is that since I have had the bike the left heated grip hasn't worked. I have looked at the wire closely as I have been disassembling the bars and everything looks good. Is there anything else I should check or is the wiring in the actual grip probably just bad?

Timbox2

First thing is make a note of which way round the wires are, should be black on top sideways, brown underneath flat. What you need is a very small point, think I used a darning needle, insert it from the front of the terminal and go underneath to release the tang that holds it in the housing while pulling gently on the wire at the back,

When I had to replace mine, I pushed the wires through then had a paper clip pushed into the hole to catch the terminal and pull through, gently though, and youll only get one terminal through at a time, Its tricky but take your time and youll get there.

Oh yeah, and never be tempted to shorten any of the wires in the harness, which seems stupidly long, it is, for a reason.
2016 Tiger Sport

Tigertriple

I replaced my bars a couple of months ago and had to remove the grips. The way I did it was to simply cut the connection cable about an inch from the connecting plugs and soldered the cables back together when re fitting.

To get the grip  cables through the holes in the bars I slid a piece of old wire through and taped it to the grip wire and used it as a snake to feed the cables back through the bars. I removed the snake cable and then I soldered the grip cables back together. All in all an easy job and the grips work fine.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

jwray76

Thanks guys. After the reassurance from Timbox that the wires will actually come out of the connector I gave it another try and got it. With a small needle I was able to get them out with a little fiddling.

Also while I had it all apart I was able to check the grips and found that there is a short in the left grip. Anyone have an extra heated left grip laying around???

tigergotcha

why don't you try to repair your grip DIY? it may be easy (and no cost)
i did it last winter using a short piece of copper wire of a thin diameter, twisting it instead of soldering to the thermowire just to bypass the short, then a bit of tape to hold everything in place... it works 100%.

//

jwray76

Since nobody had responded yet I just cut the wire and installed it as a regular old grip. I rode all last winter with only one heated grip and it wasnt a big deal. Figure instead of tearing this one apart I will just get a new one if I decide it is necessary. Don't really like the idea of ripping off the grip and then gluing it back on to the wires.

tigergotcha

I decided to repair mine because I was tired to ride with one hand frozen and the other one boiling + price of the oem spare part was crazy.  

By the way removing the rubber grip is the most annoying part - hair dryer (just to soften the rubber a bit), an air compressor, a screwdriver and some patience can help if it seems like glued (but it should be not). Mine was "cooked" on the right part just before the collar (you can see traces of rubber on the third picture), I had to use a small cutter but again, no risks of breaking anything.  

As for the rest, it's very easy and safe. I rode my Girly everyday for two months this winter after fixing it, no problems at all.
ciao from Italy!