News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Weird Oil Light Issue

Started by jrockrat, May 31, 2011, 11:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrockrat

So I've probably put around 500-600 miles on my new to me 1999 Girly. (Total mileage on bike is approx. 15000).
Today was the first day that I rode it in blistering heat. It was better than 90 degrees F today on the way home from work. Riding to work no issues, on the way home after about 25 miles or so I stop at a red light and noticed my oil pressure light start flickering. So I pulled off the road, check my oil level and it looks good (I'm running Mobile 1 5W40 in it) Start the bike back up sure enough it's flickering bright and dim, I put it in gear and take off and the light goes out. The light stayed out till I came to my next stop and when I would pull in the clutch and the light would flicker on, start moving light would go out. I've seen some threads on here about lights coming on and staying on but nothing like this. Any thoughts? I'm guessing everything is OK and it's just some electrical weirdness, but I'm looking for a bit of guidance if possible.

Thank You

Mustang

I would try a new oil pressure sender and if the light is still flickering at idle you may well have an oil pump that is not putting out much pressure at idle . an oil pressure gauge would confirm this . I would'nt ignore this as it could be costly .

I have a 98 that when good and hot at idle on my pressure gauge I installed the pressure is just barely off the zero mark and then goes up rapidly in relation to rpm . so that at 5000 rpm the psi is around 60 when hot

when the bike is ice cold at idle the pressure is around 40 psi at idle and 90-100 psi at 5k rpm .

but my light never comes on or flickers (yes the light works fine ) when the engine is running

jrockrat

I went back out after the bike cooled down and I located the oil pressure switch. I pulled the wire off of it (the boot is in bad shape) and I cleaned the tab up with some scotch brite and pinched the female connector so it would fit tighter on the tab. I started the bike and the oil pressure light stayed off. I don't know if this is because the bike is cool, the connection is better (seems unlikely since it happened only with the clutch in or in neutral) or the sensor is flaky and is working for the time being.
If it's the temp thing could my oil (Mobile 1 5W40) be too light and thinning out too much when the bike heats up?
I think I'll probably get the oil pressure switch as a first step, but I'm looking for any other troubleshooting tips if anyone has more ideas.
I'm dying to get some riding in, but I don't want to make things worse.

Mustang

go for the new MX4t Mobil 1 at auto zone it's 15w40

5w is pretty thin and I won't even get after ya cuz it's car oil   :ImaPoser

jrockrat

Quote from: "Mustang"go for the new MX4t Mobil 1 at auto zone it's 15w40

5w is pretty thin and I won't even get after ya cuz it's car oil   :ImaPoser

I can only seem to find that in 10W40..... $10 a quart!!! Ouch!!!  :shock:  :lol:

Mustang

it is 10w40 I was wrong...............

it's good stuff you can go 6000 miles easy or all summer long .

try the 20-50 vtwin mobil 1, my oil pressure gauge likes it !

Timbox2

This thread has all the danger signs of turning into an OIL THREAD,  :shock: , RUN FOR COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

jrockrat

Quote from: "Timbox2"This thread has all the danger signs of turning into an OIL THREAD,  :shock: , RUN FOR COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Oh No!!! We don't want to go there!!!  :lol:

Mustang

I got the delete button though  :ImaPoser

jrockrat

Changed the oil to 10W40 Mobile 1 motorcycle oil last night and when I rode today the oil light never came on at all. It was about 10-15 degrees cooler today, so I'm still not positive that was a fix, but here's hoping!!
Thanks for the help. :D