News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help - Headlight fuse keeps blowing

Started by akey, May 25, 2011, 02:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akey

Does anyone know of any common problems with the headlight wireing as my 02 Girly keep blowing fuses.  They dont blow instantly but after a bit of time (say 5 min of riding or so).  I have had the front cowl off and looked at the wireing up to the bulbs and cant see any worn through (my first guess).

Im gonna replace the fuse (again) and ride home with the lights off tonight to see if its before or after the relay and switch.

Any other thoughts.

akey

Tried it tonight and its blowing fuses as soon as the ingnition is on.

Striped the front end, put some protection where the wires cross metal, but cant see any damage so far.............. now its not doing it anymore fingers crossed.

Will see next time I'm out I guess.

Putts255

Definitely got a wire that is loose and grounding out somehow.  I would get a hold of the wiring schematics and locate the wires for the headlights and trouble shoot these wires at any junction or possible abrasion point.  May even be at the headlight connector.  

It will be a painful and tedious process but you should be able to find it.  It could be that one of the wires was stretched too far and you may not even see it.  Check where the harness may have been stretched.  

Good luck!
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

D-Fuzz

A similar thing happened to a buddy of mine, turned out to be the bulb itself was causing the short.  There was some corrosion on the contacts that was creating enough resistance to pop the fuse.  He put in a new bulb and it hasn't happened since.  It might be worth a try, bulbs are pretty cheap.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

akey

Thanks for the replies guys.

Its not the bulb as it blows the fuse with the lights switched off (or it did).

I traced the wires up to the relay and removed any tight wires, looking for any wear, but couldnt find any worn through insulation.  I wrapped up any area that were close to metal work and ensured that there were no tight runs and it seems to have sloved it, although I havent taken the bike for a decent length ride yet.

D-Fuzz

Is there something on UK bikes that allows you to ride without the lights on, or is it a switch you installed yourself?  Over here, the lights come on with the ignition.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Totos Tiger

Pull the relay out.  That will tell you if the short is before or after the relay.

Use an ohm meter or test light to see if the wire going to the headlight is grounded with the relay out and the ignition off.

That should narrow it down a little.

John Stenhouse

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"Is there something on UK bikes that allows you to ride without the lights on, or is it a switch you installed yourself?  Over here, the lights come on with the ignition.

Yeah, merry old England believes in choice, there is a switch on the bars for headlights, sidelights or nothing at all. Doesn't matter where you put it tho', all cage drivers are blind.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Timbox2

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"Is there something on UK bikes that allows you to ride without the lights on, or is it a switch you installed yourself?  Over here, the lights come on with the ignition.

It depends on the year of the bike, my 2005 UK bike has lights on all the time too.
2016 Tiger Sport

akey

Sorry yes the 02 tiger has a light switch on the RH handlebar.

metalguru

For those who would like the option of switched lamps, the early switch can be fitted to the later non-switched and can be bought quite cheaply on flebay. (855 & 955 efi)
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.