News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

another (possible) newbie

Started by lwad, November 24, 2004, 01:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwad

Guys,

I am now considering changing my current bike for a Tiger.  For some reason I had always liked the BMW GS trailie style bike but it was too expensive for me, but I had never considered the Tiger.  I have now done a bit of research and the Tiger looks like the next bike for me.  I have a couple of questions (the first one may be a little open, but any short answer would be great):

1.  Apart from engine, what are the major differences between the 900 and the 955 tiger.  Unfortunately my current budget will only allow for the 900 version, probably a 1999/2000 model.

2. Does anyone in the UK really take these bikes off road?

Thanks in advance.

barjan

Hi, excellent choice  :)

1) The engine (and performance) is the main difference. Also 955i has a Catalyc converter??? (pardon my english), a little firmer front suspension and some have a nice roulette green colour  8) .

2) salisbury plain

BP_LONDON

Hi There and welcome!!. The price differences between the 900 and 955i's are now so small that I would REALLY recommend you spend a little extra and get yourself a really awesome machine. I was in the same position as you when I was lookingto get a monster trailly and I am now really happy that I went for the 955i. That engine is simply divine!!! I've seen some tigers in MCN this evening starting @ £3300 26k miles. 26k on a Tiger 955i means its run in and ready for some real mileage - the bikesare built to last.

Sasquatch

Quote from: "barjan"Hi, excellent choice  :)

1) The engine (and performance) is the main difference. Also 955i has a Catalyc converter??? (pardon my english), a little firmer front suspension and some have a nice roulette green colour  8) .

2) salisbury plain

You have it backwards.  The 885 motor had the cat.

The 955i motor is absolutly the way to go.  Where the 885 is a good motor, the 955 is fantastic.

lwad

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Hi There and welcome!!. The price differences between the 900 and 955i's are now so small that I would REALLY recommend you spend a little extra and get yourself a really awesome machine. I was in the same position as you when I was lookingto get a monster trailly and I am now really happy that I went for the 955i. That engine is simply divine!!! I've seen some tigers in MCN this evening starting @ £3300 26k miles. 26k on a Tiger 955i means its run in and ready for some real mileage - the bikesare built to last.

The prices are quite confusing.  There is that 955 at £3300, but generally they start around £4500, but then the 900's go up to £4400.  

If I had over 4 grand then I would hold out for a 955.  I suppose I could wait for the prices to drop, but the idea behind getting a Tiger is to get a bike I can ride every day, starting from now(ish).  There will always be a better version I can't afford.

I did remember reading old reviews (well before the 955) that the Tiger engine was the best bit of the bike, so I'm assuming it's not really going to be a dissapointment  :)

BP_LONDON

Well, I don't have experience with the 885's, only with the 955i's - it's a very hi-tec super smooth, powerful and reliable motor - I'd still seriously recomend you break the piggie bank, steal, beg etc to get the little bit of extra cash for a better bike (not just the engine) which will have better residual value than a 900 anyway. You can't lose.

lwad

To add a little more detail to my situation.  I need to get rid of my current bike first, which is a VOR 503 SM, but I may possibly have a deal to swop it for a 900 Tiger.  

I like the idea of a straight swap, especially in winter when bike sales are slow.  Plus, financies are tight at the moment and as a bike is a luxury, it's the first area to have it's funding cut, so no upgrade.

I get the message that the 955 is a much better bike, but is it because there was alot to improve on, or did Triumph just improve on an already good bike to make it a great bike?

Actually, what I'm looking for is someone to say that the 900 is a very good and reliable bike.  At the moment, all I can find is praise for the 955.

There is very little difference between the 900 Tiger and the 955. It's basically the engine and the forks were improved a little on the 955i.

I'm sure with stiffer springs and some thicker oil, the 900 forks can be improved also.

Chris Canning

Hi Awad

A VOR blimey!!! seriously hard core or what!!!!,as has already been said you really want a 955 and you can get them at good money low to mid £3000's,i had two 900i's the first when't pop,the second i did 13-14000 miles OK but just didn't have that bit that makes the difference the 955 does.

If your looking for cheap damage repairable's try some where like Cheshire salvage,they've got a couple in.

Chris

Neil M

Morning Guys.

One of Iwads original questions was do U.K. riders take their Tigers off road. Well do you? I got as far as the bottom of my not very large garden before the Tiger went down.  :cry: Is this a record?

Neil

lwad

Quote from: "Neil M"Morning Guys.

One of Iwads original questions was do U.K. riders take their Tigers off road. Well do you? I got as far as the bottom of my not very large garden before the Tiger went down.  :cry: Is this a record?

Neil

Neil,

If you do find somewhere apart from your garden (and I get Tiger) let me know as I also live in West Sussex.

barjan

Quote from: "Neil M"One of Iwads original questions was do U.K. riders take their Tigers off road. Well do you?

Well I did, but I am not a UK rider (actually, I was, 2 years back for 2 weeks  :P ). But I posted a link earlier in this thread and I suppose Salisbury plain is in the south of England, still part of UK, or isn't it?

Iwad, I don't think you will be disappointed with a 900i Tiger. I have one, and I bought it secondhand because it was much cheaper then the 955i back in 2002. The bike is fine and runs fine for my liking. Sure the 955i will be a bit quicker and go faster, but the caracter of the three cilinders is present and the engines both are built to last.

Newer will be better, but that doesn't mean the older one is bad. Once you got one, you will get used to it and either bike will give you that smile on your face.

(Especially since I put that offroad can on, it's addictive to GO!)  :twisted:

lwad

Quote from: "barjan"
Quote from: "Neil M"One of Iwads original questions was do U.K. riders take their Tigers off road. Well do you?

Well I did, but I am not a UK rider (actually, I was, 2 years back for 2 weeks  :P ). But I posted a link earlier in this thread and I suppose Salisbury plain is in the south of England, still part of UK, or isn't it?

Iwad, I don't think you will be disappointed with a 900i Tiger. I have one, and I bought it secondhand because it was much cheaper then the 955i back in 2002. The bike is fine and runs fine for my liking. Sure the 955i will be a bit quicker and go faster, but the caracter of the three cilinders is present and the engines both are built to last.

Newer will be better, but that doesn't mean the older one is bad. Once you got one, you will get used to it and either bike will give you that smile on your face.

(Especially since I put that offroad can on, it's addictive to GO!)  :twisted:

Thanks for that Barjan.  You also anwered my next question, in that there is an off road pipe for th 900i.

Patrick the Scot

QuoteOne of Iwads original questions was do U.K. riders take their Tigers off road. Well do you?

Iwad, you might check out any of Tigerjay's Ride Reports.  He is not in the UK, but he has demonstrated some of the off-road possiblities with the Tiger.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

max1198

Iwad,

I was in the same boat as you, wanted to get a Tiger but finances limited. I test rode both a 885i and a 955i. The 955i was a much better ride and would have been my preference, but the 885i is still a great bike. I went for a 2000 with only 7K on the clock, complete with Triumph off-road can, so to me it was a good deal.

I live on country B roads and the Tiger seems fine riding through mud etc, and I give my kids a blast up and down the garden. I've probably jinxed myself now and will get my wife to take a picture of me lying on the grass with the Tiger on top and post it for all to giggle over.

But like everyone else is saying, whichever you buy, it will be a good choice.

Have fun.