News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Durability Timing Chain?

Started by MtheTiger, May 31, 2011, 02:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtheTiger

Anyone know the service life (in km's, miles or years?) of the timing chain? This info is not stated in the manual.

My T400 has done 62K kms in 14 years. She runs fine, no weird noises (apart from the usual Fedex truck sound and turbo whine that is  8)  8)  8)  :) ). The chain has lengthened somewhat I guess because the arrows on the sprockets don't line up perfectly anymore. But, the chain lives in a near perfect environment so it could last a long time.

Some tigerowners replace the chain as early as 30K miles, others report doing 110K km's with the original chain. Better safe than sorry so any wise comments ?
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

1. is there any adjustment left in the chain tensioner and is the spring and ratchet in good condition ?

2. if the above answer is yes , you are probably ok

62k km's is not a lot of miles it's just over 38k miles . my tigger 2 is on to 70k miles(112,000 km's) on the original cam chain with no problems what so ever. ymmv

MtheTiger

thx for the speedy answer Mustang.

Can I check this without removing the camcover or is the risk too great that the chain will skip a tooth when loosening the tensioner?
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

take off the right hand cover ( the one the ignition pickup sensor is under) gives you a view port at the chain to make sure everything stays put and then go ahead and pull the tensioner out . no noise is usually a good sign .

b4 you pull the tensioner check the chain by going thru the right hand cover ,it should be good and tight .

you can sorta see the tensioner blades too on the front side make sure they are in good shape too , they will be what goes bad b4 the chain does.

CoolHandLuke

There doesn't seem to be a hard rule for cam chains, but I would highly recommend changing the cam chain around 50k miles.  This is based on a trusted mechanics recommendation who has been working on Hinckley bikes for as long as they have been sold.  The chain tensioner slider should be changed at this time, too - this is the weakest link.  The tensioner teeth and spring should also be checked.

For me, it is better to be cautious and save something more costly down the line.  At 100k, presuming the old girl is still running, I will take the head off and do a full service.

mantramoto

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"There doesn't seem to be a hard rule for cam chains, but I would highly recommend changing the cam chain around 50k miles.  This is based on a trusted mechanics recommendation who has been working on Hinckley bikes for as long as they have been sold.  The chain tensioner slider should be changed at this time, too - this is the weakest link.  The tensioner teeth and spring should also be checked.

For me, it is better to be cautious and save something more costly down the line.  At 100k, presuming the old girl is still running, I will take the head off and do a full service.

I agree! Look at the trouble I am in under "cam chain guide explody". Wish I would have read about this earlier.