News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

95 Tiger dying

Started by Expat Stu, June 10, 2011, 01:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Expat Stu

Hello everybody peeps!

I have a new and very irritating problem with my oldish Triumph Tiger, which is this:

It starts and runs fine, will pull like a train until the throttle is open more than a 1/4 then it dies...close the throttle and it picks up again - I have changed the plugs, checked HT leads and cleaned (by hand) the carbs and jets as best I can - still the same.

Apart from torching the bloody thing does anyone have a different idea?

Mustang

sounds to me like the right hand snorkel cover on the air box is missing .
It needs to be there or it will do exactly as you describe .

Expat Stu

Airbox and filter are standard end cap in place - though Ï´m thinking of going the 3 K&Ns route if I can get the bugger running again...

CoolHandLuke

Is it a consistent RPM that it begins to die at?  If so, what is it?

I know you have ruled out the snorkel cap, but if it were the snorkel cap, it would happen around 4-5k RPM.

Checklist:

No air gaps between airbox, carbs and engine.
Pull the fuel hose off the tank and ensure the petrol is flowing freely.
Fuel filter by the carb is not blocked.
How long have you had the bike?  Is this since you bought it, or only since some work was done on it?

BruKen

It does very much sound like she is leaning out. Either getting too much air or no enough fuel.

Sometimes the oddest things can cause this tho .... I had a mouse build it's nest in the cans once in a 400 I had years ago .... little b*gger had me scratching my head for ages. A zillion bike bits laid in a heap on the workshop floor and you never think about the zorst pipes :oops:

Expat Stu

Sirs, thanks very much for your advice - it´s not cutting out at certain revs - it seems to depend on how open the throttle is....a mechanic friend thinks it might be the coils - anyone got a spare set for sale?

Stu

CoolHandLuke

Can you update your location, please :)

aeronca

it does sound like the coils. mine would do the same thing - i got a set of nology coils and threw out the triumph crap(went through 2 set's of those POS). it's been running like a top since. you can get three nology's for about the price of one triumph oem (gill). http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/noprigcofort.html
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Rocinante

If it cuts off at a specific throttle position independent of speed and revs, then it sounds like carbs imho.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com