News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear bearings in 01 Tiger 955i

Started by gilly527, June 04, 2011, 10:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilly527

I just replaced out all the rear wheel bearings in my 01 Tiger. All the parts I ordered were correct part form the lock ring bearing retainer clip. The part that comes from Triumph is too small in diameter. It is just smaller that the OD of the bearing.

The old lock ring is in again for now but is damaged. Has anyone else run into the same issue/ does anyone know where to get the correct size lock ring from? I've been in touch with Triumph through the parts guys at my local dealer and triumph were pretty much useless in helping.
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

blacktiger

I wouldn't worry too much about re-using the old clip. Damaged? If it sits in the groove securely it won't go anywhere. It doesn't have a huge sideways load on it.
Just keep a check on it every time you have the wheel out.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

yack_ass

I also have a 01 Girly. She is getting close to 70000km.
I have no idea if the bearings were replaced/checked by previous ovners.
What is the life expectancy of these things, should I think about replacing them just to be sure? I checked some web sites and the cost is not so terrifying for a pretty much important part.

Mustang

they pretty much fail when they feel like as they are sealed bearings ....
they can last forever or they can fail at any time .
Usually they give you plenty of advance notice that they are done , lift the rear end off the ground and see if there is any side play in the wheel if no you are good ..if yes , it's time to order some bearings .
in advanced stages of bearing failure they will start to scream and chirp and well sound like metal scraping on metal .

Bixxer Bob

I noticed when washing mine this week that there were some difficult to remove small black spots on the front rim.  On closer inspection they were oil-based (cleaned off with white spirit).  Looks like I'm about to change the front bearings / seals  :roll:

Oh well, she's due a big service anyway, just another job on the list...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...