News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Saw this beautiful old Triumph today

Started by Colonel Nikolai, June 20, 2011, 06:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

Here's a 1968 Triumph Trophy. The lack of a "Harp" tank badge is the giveaway for this model year.

Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"The blue 6t above is close to the right color for a 1950 but not quite , the original blue was butt ugly and most US dealers repainted them Black with Gold pinstripes on the fenders before they even sold them .

I think the color in the picture is what it _should_ have been.

iansoady

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"This is a '52 Vincent Touring Rapide, same engine as the Vincent Black Lightning of TE Lawrence fame.

Er... Not quite. The Brough Superior long pre-dated the Vincent (even in HRD form) and the engine of Lawrence's bike was a JAP OHV unit.

See here.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"This is a '52 Vincent Touring Rapide, same engine as the Vincent Black Lightning of TE Lawrence fame.

Er... Not quite. The Brough Superior long pre-dated the Vincent (even in HRD form) and the engine of Lawrence's bike was a JAP OHV unit.

See here.

I think we may be talking about 2 different bikes? The bike he wrote about in the book The Mint (from which your link quotes from) was indeed a Brough Superior. The bike he rode later in life was the Vincent Black Lightning.

Colonel Nikolai

Nope: I stand corrected. I was certain it was a Vincent.

abruzzi

When I think Vincent, I think of the iconic Rollie Free photo at Bonneville:

Or the Hunter S. Thomson 'review' of the Ducati 900SS, titled 'Song of the Sausage Creature.'

Geof

JTT

I've a bit of a soft spot for scramblers  8)

2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

JTT

A lovely bit of workmanship seen on a recent trip to Rhinebeck, NY
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

dickenbacker

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"1965 Tiger Cub. Lovely.

I had a Tiger Cub in 1970 and they were a single cylinder as far as I remember so this isn't a Tiger Cub (lovely though it is!). A Trophy maybe?

Mustang