News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

wrenching advice?

Started by WVdyhrd, June 20, 2011, 11:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerTrax

Buying a Triumph?

Rule #1: Buy a MANUAL!

Rule #2: Make notes / and jot down alternative
              products.

Rule #3: Carry that parts list with you along with some critical
              specs ( like rear axel torque settings  first time you
               are on a trip and need to adjust your chain... you'll
               wish you had it! )

Rule #4: Carry 2 tie-down straps!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "WVdyhrd"p.s. anyone have the hose setup for running with the tank off? I need some but can't spend 253

I have but I'm a little far away from you.....

But it's easy to make up a set using the plastic connectors you took off when you fitted the metal ones.

Ummm it still has the plastic ones, I plan on doing the swap soon, but the previous owner never did it, and they still work....sooo they're still on there

New problem. I repaired/replaced my thermo housing, thermostat, and seals in there. Refilled coolant, blah blah blah.

Put it all together, and it won't start. The starter IS spinning (i even rolled the bike around hoping it was just a flat spot). I've checked my solenoid, and it seems in order.

Sooooo my thoughts are fuel or fire? Well just replaced the plugs a few weeks before, and have double checked all my connections.

Any tips on what to do next? I'm cash strapped (darn economy) and the nearest triumph shop is hours away; and I'd love to really ride my tiger this summer. So I humbly accept any and all sage sober guidance??
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

Mustang

if it was running b4 you worked on it go back and make sure everything YOU worked on is correct ..............
does the fuel pump sound like its running when you turn the key on ?
check for blown fuses
perchance hooked up the coils out of sequence so firing order is wrong ?

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "Mustang"if it was running b4 you worked on it go back and make sure everything YOU worked on is correct ..............
does the fuel pump sound like its running when you turn the key on ?
check for blown fuses
perchance hooked up the coils out of sequence so firing order is wrong ?
I have re checked everything that I messed with recently seems fine. Coincidental I guess? All I I'd was pull tank replace thermo.

But I will (when home) investigate fuel pump and fuses (how could I not check fuses haha) and will report my findings sir :)

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

2004Tiger

Nobody has mentioned the possibility of reversed expansion tank hose connections yet, maybe we all assume all Girlies have been fixed by now. I had to fix mine when I bought it even though it had been to the dealer a few times previous. Also one of my plastic hose ends at the expansion tank was broken and would have prevented any suction.

What happens is every time the engine gets hotter than usual it spits a little coolant into the expansion tank but if your hoses are reversed the coolant is not sucked back upon a return to normal temperature. The result is a gradual decrease of coolant volume in the engine, part coolant and part air. Topping up through the expansion tank will not put water into the engine and it will eventually overheat dramatically, usually while at a stop while idling on a hot day. When mine did this all the talk was about the "bad" radiator cap but it actually was the reversed hoses and my original cap continues to function perfectly.

Also realize that a thermostat will not function properly if it is filled with air/steam instead of coolant. Likewise the water pump if a large air volume is present and water circulation manages to push it as far as the pump. It will not pump air.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

WVdyhrd

Well I checked my fuses (i pulled em all) and they seem ok. Battery is in decent shape (tests +2). I think I hear my pump kicking in. Maybe Not as loud as it normally is (maybe I'm just imagining the decrease) but the noise is def there.

So I guess next is time to pull the tank again and check for fire?

forgive my ignorance...but any different then any other motor? Or can I just pull the plugs out and hold em against something metal and the coil pack and look for fireworks?

advrider->wvdyhrd

brittus

I have seen overflow/recovery hoses that are kinked shut, and in some cases have holes that weep fluid or leak the vacuum out so the radiator/cooling system can't draw the fluid back into the system as it cools, thus making it a "one-way" proposition

Good Luck, wanna get riding again on our big girls

oops! in answer to your last query, I have a dedicated test lead with a pair of clips, alligator on one end, and a larger clamp (think battery charger) on the other, so I don't have to hold anything.

You can def get a good shock holding them, plus it's hard to find a good ground on some engines within easy reach of the plug wires length.

Once constructed this jumper wire/clamp setup has lasted many many years and can be used for lots of electrical bypasses/checks

KuzzinKenny

Hey WVdyhrd !! have ya rechecked yer kill switch  :oops:

its easily done !!

don't ask  :roll:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly