News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Problem Shifting Back into First

Started by Two Dogs Barking, June 22, 2011, 05:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Dogs Barking

Want to start by saying that this bike ( 98 ) is a blast to ride and I wouldn't have gotten it running right without this forum.

A new problem that I have started to have is that the bike has a hard time shifting back into first when I come to a stop. It get stuck in neutral and seems to only go back into first if I rock it back and forth. This has only happened when the bike is nice and warmed up. A problem that may have something to do with it is that there is excessive slack in the shifter that seems to just be some worn out bushings or something.

Any advice?

This is my first motorcycle and first time working on one so my description may be a bit off.
Two Dogs Barking

R0B

Is the clutch releasing properly.........correctlybled, plenty of fluid, no drag?

Rob

Mustang

Quote from: "Two Dogs Barking"A problem that may have something to do with it is that there is excessive slack in the shifter that seems to just be some worn out bushings or something.

Any advice?

This is my first motorcycle and first time working on one so my description may be a bit off.

DING DING DING you have found the answer ..........the sloppy linkage causes it . if you look where the rod end is attached to the bellcrank on the shift shaft you will find it is pretty sloppy and the bushing for the pivot on the pedal is probably real sloppy , also the rod end on the pedal side is going to be slop city also . I repaired one of mine with new rod ends from McMaster Carr ...............one of my other tigers (a 98) is now so bad that almost every gear downshifting  is a chore ....double clutch and keep jamming the pedal down , guess its time I fix that one too  :roll:

Two Dogs Barking

Thanks for the help guys!

Sounds like a fun little project.
Two Dogs Barking