News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stripped Allen Pad retaining pin

Started by Grambo, October 01, 2015, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grambo

Had coffee the other day when I noticed a reddish powder coating the rim of my back tire. I suspected brake pads and rotors and to my surprise the pads were down to nothing and it was metal on metal. there are very faint groves on the rotor that i think I can sand out and smooth with a rubbing compound and then clean with Brakefree. I tried to take the caliper off the bike last night and had great success getting off the two over torqued mounting bolts and wa able to break free one of the allen retaining pins but to my dismay, the right pin is rounded and stripped out. Any suggestions on how to get the damn thing out? Its a 5mm allen and I was thinking of ordering two new pins, pounding a slightly larger "Torx" bit into the allen opening and trying to get it out that way. Any other suggestions? I have new brake pads for the rear brake and I would love to get those on ASAP.

Thanks again gentlemen!
Chris

Mustang

Grambo

Quote from: Mustang on October 01, 2015, 04:03:57 PM
drill and easy out

I was hoping top avoid that!  :icon_scratch: Drat!
Maybe I will have to do that. I have had some success pounding in a torx bit slightly larger than the allen diameter and backing it out...the plus is that I can reuse the pin and use the bike while I wait a week or so for the new (expensive) pins to arrive. But maybe drilling is the way to go...

Mustang

heres a little tip :
the pins don't have to be screwed in very tight , snugged up works fine .
all the y do is hold the pads from falling out due to gravity.
put a dab of grease on the thread when you put the new ones in
you'll be happy next time the brake needs service

Grambo

Quote from: Mustang on October 01, 2015, 05:22:02 PM
heres a little tip :
the pins don't have to be screwed in very tight , snugged up works fine .
all the y do is hold the pads from falling out due to gravity.
put a dab of grease on the thread when you put the new ones in
you'll be happy next time the brake needs service

the previous owner really over-torqued all the bolts. I agree with you Mustang...just tight enough not to fall out. I almost broke the bike in half trying to get the two 14mm mounting bolts out...hands are still sore. When they finally cracked they sounded like gunshots!! I never over-tighten...especially those crappy allen head bolts...they are notorious for stripping/rounding out when they get over seated.

motoOzarks

You might heat it a time or two before hand

Just to loosen rust and corrosion if applicable

Or to release a chemical bonding agent if they used one

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Grambo

WOW!

Tried the torx bit trick twice with no luck at all (size 30 stripped as did the T40). I ended up using a flathead screwdriver bit and hammered it into the stripped opening. Used a ratchet very slowly and carefully and finally broke the seal releasing that flipping retaining pin. I've ordered two new ones from Engle Motors for $11.33 which was pretty good. I was able to remove the crappy brake pads out and replace them with the new EBC 2H sintered pads...so happy with the difference! Cleaned the entire caliper and the pistons and used a copper grease (what a nice feeling to be able to stop!).

JoeDirt

I did mine recently... only difference I sprayed penetrating fluid in the night before. They still sound like a gun going off when you finally break them away. Those screw just get very hot during use and dry out worse than any other screw. The other problem is a steel screw in an aluminum body... but that's a whole other story.