News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girlies been having a wee(Update)

Started by Timbox2, June 24, 2011, 06:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Ive not had problems with the cooling system before, in fact I flushed and changed the coolant a couple of months back and its been fine until this week.

Couple of days back I parked up and switched off and as I was getting ready to walk off I noticed a gentle leak from the overflow pipe, anyway I left it for a few hours then checked the level in the expansion bottle on my return, it was down to about the minimum mark. The next morning when it was cold I topped it up to about half way between min and max. Today it did the same again so in preparation went and got a new rad cap from Triumph, but I did actually put a new cap on about this time last year, Ive done over 20k since then mind so maybe thats it, what do others think?

PS: The bikes not showing any signs of overheating, the gauge shows what its always done.
2016 Tiger Sport

jwray76

I think you are all over it. Go ahead and throw that new radiator cap on the bike.

daveb

Tim, it sounds firmiliar http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=coolant

change the rad cap, but make sure you bleed it well.

Chris Canning

Tim

I can remember some years ago having been running way into 3 figures running down the Aosta valley and it was high 30's that centigrade,stopped a fuelled station,went to get a drink,came back to a large pool of water underneath the bike,tep was good and took no notice,didn't even top it up.

I'd leave it as is,see if it keeps doing it and how much is the level dropping,if it carrys on then strip it and start looking.

Timbox2

Cheers guys, Im gonna keep the new rad cap in me topbox for now just in case, just cant be arsed to take the tank off at the moment and she appears to be behaving anyway.
2016 Tiger Sport

Mustang

all three of my steamers need the reservoir no higher than  the minimum  mark on tank or they will piss coolant when you stop and shut em down.

daveb

Quote from: "Mustang"all three of my steamers need the reservoir no higher than  the minimum  mark on tank or they will piss coolant when you stop and shut em down.

I got mine set to the low mark too, I got caught in traffic this week, the coolant expaned to ther mid point in the expansion bottle.

cosmo

FWIW, in the car world, those caps are most known for not holding a vacuum, hence not returning the coolant to the radiator.

Or, exactly the problem we have in Triumph-ville.

Change it.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Timbox2

Finally got round to changing the cap today, yep, it had started to fail, coolant was getting up through the centre of the cap, if you take the label off you'll see what I mean.

Hopefully thats it sorted, got a longish trip tomorrow to Brawdy ( Nr St Davids), I also did the airbox mod while I had the tank off and put the BMC air filter back in, I used a blowtorch and knife, heating the knife and then cutting the plastic out, quite easy really, not too much mess left to vacuum out, I'll report back after tomorrows run :D
2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

enjou your trip down to st Davids's some good roads around there.

Are you going to pop into Garlands in Haverfordwest?  Triumph dealership.

http://www.garlandsmotorcycles.co.uk/

I got to go there soon for 12k mile service

Timbox2

Quote from: "daveb"enjou your trip down to st Davids's some good roads around there.

Probably wont have time mate, Ive a job to do at Brawdy, then Ive got to pretty much turn round and head back to Cardiff for another job, Im gonna go the scenic route there though, via Sennybridge, llandeilo, should be nice in the morning, Ill try and get some nice pics with the Nikon.

Hey, what about M&P's, just got me C&S kit in time then, and you.
2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "daveb"enjou your trip down to st Davids's some good roads around there.

Probably wont have time mate, Ive a job to do at Brawdy, then Ive got to pretty much turn round and head back to Cardiff for another job, Im gonna go the scenic route there though, via Sennybridge, llandeilo, should be nice in the morning, Ill try and get some nice pics with the Nikon.

Hey, what about M&P's, just got me C&S kit in time then, and you.

what a shock, M & P's gone up in Flames, they are only 3 miles from me, C & S fitted 2 weeks ago, they fitted them for me too,

http://www.welshbikers.co.uk/forum/the- ... s-on-fire/

I couldn't find any mention of the fire on the Triumph sites I visit, they hope to have the mail order up and running within a week