News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

burring sound

Started by ChillMan, August 17, 2015, 03:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I would take off the exhaust and shake it, tap it, shout and swear at it etc... it could be a stone fallen inside or even a weld broken on the baffle, its an easy job and you may get a clue - you may even refit it and the noise dissapears  :^_^

ChillMan

True, it could be some stone or something inside. It could possibly also be the screws where it's mounted - or even the screws at the opening of the exhaust.

This helped me understand how the shield is mounted:  (showing the exhaust without the shield - I didn't listen to the sound).

CO_885i

You people are my freaking heroes today. I bought my Tiger a few months ago and have been trying ever since to figure out if that noise was normal. The whole time, I was thinking the sound was coming from down in the drivetrain. After reading this, I walked out ad tapped my heat shield and voila! Broken rear-most rivet. Tied a piece of leather around it and took it for a spin and the annoyance has ceased. Thank you!!

motoOzarks

chillman

stuff sumthin under there

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ChillMan

That is brilliant, CO_885i! I have yet to get rid of mine and it really annoys me. :)
Was it a leather belt? What about heat?

motoOzarks

just

put

something

in

there
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS

ChillMan

ChillMan

I put something in there. I cut an eraser/rubber into a wedge, and drove around... without burrrrrr!

Then the rubber melted a little into "newly chewed chewing gum"... if you know what I mean. And the burr was back.

Bixxer Bob

Yup, it'd need to be something that can stand the heat.  A piece of silicon tubing would get you a result.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ChillMan

The eraser thing was just to test the theory. Plus I got a wonderful burrless half hour. :)

Tomorrow the bike goes to the workshop for brake/tyre, I'll ask him to redo the rivets as well.

rex007can

Had that last summer.  Used high temp epoxy paste to stick it on.  Heat cures the paste,  sound hasn't come back.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

ChillMan

Bike workshop fixed it today. Took it for a 100km trip afterwards today. NO MORE ANNOYING BURRING!

He wasn't too keen about this project because he said those rivets tend to spin when you drill, AND it is tricky to get the remaining parts out, once done. Still, he did it, partly because I did other work at the same time (front breaks/tyres) and it's the third visit with him this year. I might be back in spring for a 20,000 km service.

He didn't fit new rivets, instead screws and some part inside.

motoOzarks

:thumbsup

Quote from: ChillMan link=topic=14762.msg112806#msg112806 datquote author=ChillMan link=topic=14762.msg112806#msg112806 date=1441927747]He didn't fit new rivets, instead screws and some part inside.

You scare me dude