News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coil failure, panic lives here!

Started by Persson, July 10, 2011, 11:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightrunner

Quote from: "Persson"Yes, I read about them here on TT last night, that is definitely an option.
-Is there any differences in year models I should be aware of, or will any TT600 "Stick-coil" fit?
 -They just plug in, or do I have to make any other mod. apart from the extention of the wires?

Thanks Nightrunner

Sounds like you are covered.  For anyone else reading this, there are only two kinds of Triumph stick coils.  The long skinny ones like on a TT600 are the ones to use.  There is another variety that are too large in diameter and have a flat top with mounting ears where they bolt to the valve cover.  These are too fat to fit into the deep recessed valve cover.

And yes, you just run extension wires over to the coils.  As far as I can tell they are not polarized.  If you can get them off a wrecked bike get the connectors too.  Otherwise you have to use the small female flag (aka spade) connectors from local electronics store.

Enjoy your trip!  Last minute stuff like this usually means you'll have a good time.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

MIMbox

TT600 coils, from pre 2000 bikes.

Persson

Fantabuolus!

Pictures, information about specific numbers for replacementparts, all that knowledge is here.

Since there are so many of us who has been in this coil-situation, perhaps it would be possible to pour some glue on this thread, or perhaps even make a new sticky with which coils fit, replacement and aftermarket coils, and finally, from which different bikes we can nick them?

-Thanks to all who has involved themselves.

..And I wonder yet again, how in the world did we manage before internet...?
1998 Black Steamer, 1961 Panhead

akendall1966

The same stick coil is on Daytona 600 as well as the TT600, if you search for posts by NeilD you will find details of a UK company who sell the proper water proof coil connectors. Expensive but make for a neat and secure way to hook them up.

Lots of jap bikes use the same style of coil, I kicked my self earlier this year at the BMF as there was loads on the autojumble and it would have been perfect chance to measure resistance check dimensions for the want of a mutli-meter and rule :oops:

PS It sounds like your sorted but I have 3x very good condition gils taken of my bike. I'd prefer to hang onto them in case I ever want to go back to stock but happy to loan them until you can get some nologys if your still stuck.

AK
----AK-----

Persson

Quote from: "akendall1966"The same stick coil is on Daytona 600 as well as the TT600, if you search for posts by NeilD you will find details of a UK company who sell the proper water proof coil connectors. Expensive but make for a neat and secure way to hook them up.

Lots of jap bikes use the same style of coil, I kicked my self earlier this year at the BMF as there was loads on the autojumble and it would have been perfect chance to measure resistance check dimensions for the want of a mutli-meter and rule :oops:

PS It sounds like your sorted but I have 3x very good condition gils taken of my bike. I'd prefer to hang onto them in case I ever want to go back to stock but happy to loan them until you can get some nologys if your still stuck.

AK

Thanks man, it is really nice to offer me that loan, but i think I´m on dry land now.
-I can see land anyways. ..Or, a seagull told me he has heard of something called land once...

:shock:  :shock:

HockleyBoy

Wouldn't know a coil if it hit me on th ehead but Triumph on line seem to have Nology and PVL coils in stock.

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/nology-pro-fire-high-performance-ignition-coils-for-triumph-543-c.asp

Probably not what you want but have a quick look just in case.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Mustang

Quote from: "HockleyBoy"Wouldn't know a coil if it hit me on th ehead but Triumph on line seem to have Nology and PVL coils in stock.

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/nology-pro-fire-high-performance-ignition-coils-for-triumph-543-c.asp

the single outlet nologys that he needs are listed as no longer available but the PVL's appear to be in stock.

Persson

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "HockleyBoy"Wouldn't know a coil if it hit me on th ehead but Triumph on line seem to have Nology and PVL coils in stock.

the single outlet nologys that he needs are listed as no longer available but the PVL's appear to be in stock.

@ HockleyBoy
Thanks man, a very good site it appears! That one goes in "Favourites" right away. If I don´t order coils from there, I´ll probably order something else in the future.

@ Mustang
I wrote Triumph-on-line and asked, and they do have PVL´s in stock.
-But now I have the coils from CoolHandLuke on the way, and hopefully here tomorrow friday. If not, they will come on monday, when we are supposed to leave.
And if they don`t arrive tomorrow, I was never supposed to go on this dangelidong trip anyway.
I don`t consider my good self to be cool enough to try to stick it to
"Father faith..."

ArcticTiger

Did you get Tiger running again, and headed for Norway?
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "Persson"And if they don`t arrive tomorrow, I was never supposed to go on this dangelidong trip anyway.
"Father faith..."
FFS, they haven't arrived yet?  That was supposed to have been a 2 day delivery.

Persson

Quote from: "ArcticTiger"Did you get Tiger running again, and headed for Norway?

Tiger is going through lighter surgery this morning, we shall see.. :D

Persson

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"
Quote from: "Persson"And if they don`t arrive tomorrow, I was never supposed to go on this dangelidong trip anyway.
"Father faith..."
FFS, they haven't arrived yet?  That was supposed to have been a 2 day delivery.

No worries Luke, they arrived friday morning! But I was away all saturday, so I had no tinker-time yesterday.
This morning I replaced the coil for cylinder 1, and going for a testdrive after lunch.

To be continued...

Persson

So far:

Swapped coil for cyl 1, to a PVL that CoolHandLuke sent me.
Took some cranking to get it to start.
Engine was really hesitant as usual and smoking quite a lot.
Went for a 20min ride and same problem occurred after engine reached working temperature. Jerky ride on low RPM´s. Engine almost died on me in a tight roundabout.

Removed and inspected ignition cable to cyl. 1, and it was heavily corroded. 2 & 3 looked like new.

It could very well be that the wire or cap for the sparkplug is the culprit here...
But why does it look like this? Has the insulation gone bad?
-There is no sign of corrosion on the head of the sparkplug, or down in the sparkplug-pit
(BTW, the "goo" is WB40, not water or oil.)

Mustang

thats the culprit , had one do the same , replace the lead life will be good
worn and then electric arc finishes it off until the spark can no longer jump the gap that is created

Persson

Quote from: "Mustang"thats the culprit , had one do the same , replace the lead life will be good
worn and then electric arc finishes it off until the spark can no longer jump the gap that is created

Yeah Mustang, I should be fined for that one really...
When I read back my last post, I´m struck by the rays of sheer stupidity beamed out.
Not checking the plugs first..
:icon_scratch  :icon_scratch  :icon_scratch

Does anyone know where to find ignition leads for the Tiger here in europe?