News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help for a newbie

Started by EasyTiger, June 22, 2011, 07:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasyTiger

Guys, i have just bought myself a lovely low mileage tiger 955i, the bike is almost spotless apart from those horid scratches caused by keys on the top yoke...i have tried to polish them out but failed miserably...i'm sure others must have experienced this annoying blemish to our trusty steeds. I guess the easiest option is to strip the bars off and re paint the yoke...or can anyone tell me where i might get a top yoke cover in Carbon or plastic..i have searched the internet to no avail....your advice in advance is appreciated

Mustang

those marks on the yoke will be nothing compared to the scuffs in the plastic tank the first time you drop it in a parking lot  :ImaPoser

it's not a matter of if you drop it , just a matter of when ............it will happen .

metalguru

Yes it does seem to be a widespread problem.
If you have a powder coating company near to you, that will be a cheap solution to the problem as the process is quick and cheap. They will have access to black or metallic silver. Look for playground equipment makers, they normally do powdercoat all their produce or will know where they get them done.

Triumph used to powdercoat in house but they just seem to paint on later models, probably cheaper!

To reduce the re-offence keep just the keys you need on the keyring, ie, ignition, panniers, topbox.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

PeteH

Quote from: "Mustang"those marks on the yoke will be nothing compared to the scuffs in the plastic tank the first time you drop it in a parking lot  :ImaPoser

it's not a matter of if you drop it , just a matter of when ............it will happen .

Thats almost tempting fate and its not realy something to joke about, but I hope he`s got some engine bars on just in case the worst should happen. Money well spent IMHO(Dont ask :oops: )
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "PeteH"
Quote from: "Mustang"those marks on the yoke will be nothing compared to the scuffs in the plastic tank the first time you drop it in a parking lot  :ImaPoser

Thats almost tempting fate and its not realy something to joke about, but I hope he`s got some engine bars on just in case the worst should happen. Money well spent IMHO(Dont ask :oops: )

:iagree  :oops:

KK

ps Welcome to TT.com  :occasion14
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

matts23

For my extra keys on the ring, I put rubber vacuum caps on them.  Easy to remove when you need in your panniers or the house, but doesn't put further scratches on the top clamp.
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

Patman1200

I only have the ignition key in the ignition barrel when riding. All the rest are attached to a carabina in my pocket as getting the alarm blipper wet is a bad thing. I also have a disk lock reminder orange "twirly stretchy wire thingy" attached to the ignition key as a reminder to remove the key when I park up.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock
1998 Bandit 1200 - Holeshot Stage 1 kit
2000 TTR 250 - Mud machine
1996 Bandit 400 vv - Screamer

EasyTiger

Thanks Guys for your comments, Blimey Mustang you sound a cheery sole.
Problem solved, i decided to swop the bike in part exchange for a 1050, which i have ridden today for the first time and so far all is good...keep up the good work guys and keep safe

Mustang

Quote from: "EasyTiger"Blimey Mustang you sound a cheery sole.
:shock: 16 years of tigger riding .trust me they like to nap in parking lots ..........1050's are no different  :lol:

PeteH

Quote from: "EasyTiger"Problem solved, i decided to swop the bike in part exchange for a 1050

My mirror stems have rusted again....time for a 1050 :wink:

Agree with the carpark naps tho Mustang...mine decided to have one when I was putting it onto its new center stand :oops:  Luckily the engine bars took the force :D
The next time she decided that the extreme braking required to stop me hitting a stationary cage was too much and nodded off once more...engine bars saved the day again....
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Mustang

Quote from: "PeteH"
Quote from: "EasyTiger"Problem solved, i decided to swop the bike in part exchange for a 1050

My mirror stems have rusted again....time for a 1050 :wink:

lucifer

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "EasyTiger"Blimey Mustang you sound a cheery sole.
:shock: 16 years of tigger riding .trust me they like to nap in parking lots ..........1050's are no different  :lol:

trying to ride off with the steering lock on makes them fall asleep as well  :oops:

engine bars to the rescue thank good. I have to say the handle bars are made of tough stuff as well :)

deepsouthtiger

Trying to back one off a trailer on a hill with no assistance.....will result in your tiger taking a nap for sure............ :oops:
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

lucifer

trying to ride off with the steering lock on makes them fall asleep as well  :oops:

I should point out that was rolling it down my garden path without the engine running