News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

885 Engine Upgrades... T595 Cams & Pistons

Started by KillaHedgeHog, July 20, 2011, 08:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillaHedgeHog

Has anyone fitted T595 Cams into an 885 engine?

I notice they have a similar lift to Super III cams, have the same dimensions as the Tiger's everywhere else, and use the same buckets and shims in the 955 engine as mine does.

The next possible step I've looked into is popping the 955 liners and pistons in too!  These need the bottom of the liners turning down a little to fit them in, or the holes through the base of the casing bored out (obviously harder to sort out).

Any experience on here of similar endeavours?

KillaHedgeHog

Quote from: "KillaHedgeHog"Has anyone fitted T595 Cams into an 885 engine?

I notice they have a similar lift to Super III cams, have the same dimensions as the Tiger's everywhere else, and use the same buckets and shims in the 955 engine as mine does.

The next possible step I've looked into is popping the 955 liners and pistons in too!  These need the bottom of the liners turning down a little to fit them in, or the holes through the base of the casing bored out (obviously harder to sort out).

Any experience on here of similar endeavours?

No... nobody?  Oh well maybe I'll just give it a go anyway

akendall1966

Steamers use a different engine if you post in the Girly forum you might get a response.
----AK-----

KillaHedgeHog

Quote from: "akendall1966"Steamers use a different engine if you post in the Girly forum you might get a response.

Well I am talking about putting bits of the later engine into my Steamer engine... not sure anybody with a Girly would be particularly interested in putting anything of theirs into a steamer engine ;)

Maybe I'll try though...

rybes

i just been talkin to a bloke i bought some panels off and hes changed the internals in his engine. i know its not the combo you want but hes done this

he changed the stock pistons for Super 3, fitted super 3 red cams and
carbs.

a super 3 is a daytona
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

NeilD

apparently the early T595 cams work but the later ones have different drive gears? not sure its a common mod, most people go for the 'speed triple challenge' set up with 750 pistons  (higher compression) and higher rev limiter.. Wilcox engines might be worth speaking to as they tuned/built a lot of the early series engines so might be able to tell you what does/doesnt work
http://www.wilcoxengines.co.uk/

KillaHedgeHog

Quote from: "NeilD"apparently the early T595 cams work but the later ones have different drive gears? not sure its a common mod, most people go for the 'speed triple challenge' set up with 750 pistons  (higher compression) and higher rev limiter.. Wilcox engines might be worth speaking to as they tuned/built a lot of the early series engines so might be able to tell you what does/doesnt work
http://www.wilcoxengines.co.uk/

Interesting thanks... Mine look to be early T595 cams as the drive sprockets are the same as my originals.  I guess I can put them into my spare engine as spin it over by hand and make sure nothing looks too stressed with the extra lift.

Using 750 pistons is an interesting option, although quite hard to come by it seems.  I'm not sure what compression ratio I'll end up with if I go the 955 pistons and liners route?!?

akendall1966

Quote from: "KillaHedgeHog"
Quote from: "akendall1966"Steamers use a different engine if you post in the Girly forum you might get a response.

Well I am talking about putting bits of the later engine into my Steamer engine... not sure anybody with a Girly would be particularly interested in putting anything of theirs into a steamer engine ;)

Maybe I'll try though...

Oh well I learned something new then, I didn't think there was anything significant common between the EFI engine and the earlier carb engine.
----AK-----

KillaHedgeHog

Quote from: "akendall1966"
Quote from: "KillaHedgeHog"

Maybe I'll try though...

Oh well I learned something new then, I didn't think there was anything significant common between the EFI engine and the earlier carb engine.

It looks to me that the outside of the engine looks quite different between 885 and 955, but pictures I've seen on the 955 opened up look remarkably similar to the 885 I currently have in (many) bits.  Even gearbox and clutch parts look very similar, although I'm only interested in upper engine bits for this project.

The stroke and pitch of the bores is unchanged, only the bore size increases for the extra capacity.  Unfortunately the gasket from the 955 won't fit the 885 from what I've heard, so the gasket situation could be the main problem I've got to overcome.  I'll find out when I take the head off mine....

akendall1966

Well as I have got a steamer and a T595 sat side by side in the garage thats some dangerous ideas you have put in my head!!
----AK-----

TripleTragic

I have only heard of the barrel swap mod talked about in hushed tones down dark alleys, but I have never heard directly from anyone that has done it.  Apparent it can be done although as you say you need to machine down the bottom of the liners and they end up very thin but this is not such a problem as that part is supported directly against the block.

I have a speedtriple with a blown head gasket and sprag clutch that may need this treatment when it one day gets rebuilt. so I am watching with interest...

I also have another speed triple with higher comp pistons that supposedly came out of a 1200 trophy - but I am not 100% sure as that has never quite added up and I wasn't the one that built it. (It also runs 39mm carbs from a GSX-R and a whole lot of other stuff) But it could be worth looking ointo as another alternative if you are having trouble getting 750 slugs.
Good things come in Threes