News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Nearly...

Started by Lee337, November 23, 2022, 10:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee337

Saw a 2012 Tiger 800 xc for sale not far from me, so took a detour on my way to a work event & popped in to the dealer who advertised it.

A nice, clean black one, no luggage but at 22k miles & £5000 with a 3 month warranty, it was worth looking at.

Well, the full service history turned out to be 4 services only , the last one being done at 22k, but no service for 6 years.

The major 20k service, including valves were not done & the dealer said they would not do it as they'd just spent £600 to prep it for sale.

I know it was a dealer, but I've seen similar age & mileage with full dealer service for a similar price, so think I'll give this one a miss.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

London_Phil

Its 24K for the next major service, not 20.
Valves are checked easily enough. I don't think mine was done by the dealer at 12K when sold, and I just did everything else myself, and haven't worried about valve check yet, at about 17K and a few years.
Given your level of ability, Valve check/re shim is straight forward, I would think, but I agree, the price is high.
You might want to get a later bike with more ride options, as 2012 only has ABS, if it is actually fitted.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on November 23, 2022, 11:20:10 AM, but I agree, the price is high.

:nod

and it has to be Irn Bru
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Lee337

Yes, I could easily do the servicing myself, but no service history for 6 years, from 4500 - 22,000 miles was a little concerning. It had ABS & heated grips, there was also aftermarket brake/clutch levers & an after market belly pan.

I just wasn't prepared to pay what they wanted given the lack of history & they wouldn't budge on the price.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Madruss

Quote from: Lee337 on November 23, 2022, 06:56:03 PMI just wasn't prepared to pay what they wanted given the lack of history & they wouldn't budge on the price.

These days, everything is negotiable if you want a sale.
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Lee337

Had a look at a 1200 TEX today. They're BIG & HEAVY.

Think I'll stick to looking at 800xc. Just got to find one with full service history, luggage & preferably black  all within my budget.

Just as well I have time on my side  :icon_mrgreen:

Lee337

Well, about to do a deal on a 2014 800xc SE, the special edition black one with the red frame. Think its called volcanic black as it has red flecks in the paint.

Service history including valve clearances doneby Muddy Sump. Done just under 17k & has full Triumph luggage as well as a few extras.

MIT ran out at the end of November, so seller is going to MOT it next week. Has also just bought a new battery as he went to start it today to film a video gor me & the old battery was dead.

A little more than I wanted to pay but given the extras  battery & MOT, I think it's a good deal.

Will pay a deposit tomorrow.

Now got to decide what to do with Tallulah  :thumbsup

Lee337

Deal not yet done, but yer she be!

London_Phil

Lots of useful extras. Bars and running lights extra helpful.
I dumped my oem luggage setup, as it was heavy, and far less capacious than it looks.
The rear box, and the moving mounting plate weigh more than all my Givi boxes combined.

Lee337

They do look chunky I must admit. The Triumph topbox on the 955i is heavy too.

Will see how I get on with them over the coming year before I decide what to do

Ta for the info  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

Get you Mr. Bling  :XXsunsmile
The boxes allegedly stand up to huge abuse but exactly as Phil says, you pay a hefty price for that.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Boxes are double skinned, and if damaged they were very expensive. I did like the one key aspect. I've got a whole bunch now.

Lee337

The deal has been done. Extra's include Touring screen, Givi spots, Scottoiler and the Standard exhaust as well as the Arrow one fitted.

I'm having her delivered as I've a lot o at the moment & don't have the time to go collect her (yes, another 'She'). I'll wait until she's in the garage before I decide what name to give her.

Thought about naming her after my friend who's recently passed away, but I don't think I could get away with saying 'I've been riding Jane all afternoon'.

Jane would think it funny but I'm not sure Mrs L would. :^_^

London_Phil

Couple of other things to note.
The OEM Handguards are very small, I got some explorer ones and fitted them. I think they changed them on later bikes.
The other popular mod is to relocate the front indicators to the side of the headlights, and update to LED's, as the originals are big and  exposed where they are.
That bike looks like it has quite a few accessories with it, I noted Sump plate and headlight guard as well. Niiice....

Sin_Tiger

Rosie  :icon_biggrin:

Spot on as usually Phil  :thumbsup