News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger mods

Started by Beernard, September 19, 2021, 11:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beernard

OK. I have given up trying to resurrect the pics of these mods. Dead computer.
I did the Mustang-inspired rear-axle flip. I couldn't work out how. Dumb-arse I suppose. The spacer/mount has a tang. I was not up to dealing with it. Mustang didn't tell me!!
So that led me to replacing the ridiculously hopeless (my opinion) rear brake spacer/mount. If that is what it is called. Where it deployed on my three T300/400's wore out badly.
I scored one off a 98 Trophy. Had to chop a bit off but its great. Its got a bearing!! What a great idea, John Bloor!! I think its a great mod. I hope you can see what I did. I respect you all, but I'm not going to pull it apart for a pic!! Of course the pics of the butchery are gone.
You will also see the small spacer to raise the chain guard. Little stuff to you lot, but there you are.
For my riding, a lowered Tiger is good. I also dropped the forks 20mm to match.
Oh, after this, I also didn't like the look of the way that the chain had to travel. I pulled the lower chain-rubbing-bloody-strip off (poor thing). Looked like it needed an adjustment after the other mods. Good grief! I ground a bit off the "stopper bit" (if that's what we may call it). Essentially to make a smoother, straighter run for the chain. Again, I wish I had the pics.
You lot may not benefit from these mods, but I have. These bikes are great, I think.
Bern.
Ripper, woke up again.

Beernard

Err. Last pic.
If you are interested in any way, this shows the chopped up bits of the 98 rear brake hanger. The bright bits, not black.
Coulda smoothed em out, but why?
Bern
Ripper, woke up again.

Sin_Tiger

The brake caliper carrier for Trophies / Daytona's only have a bearing in it because the carrier is fixed to the frame via the torque arm, therefore has to "swing" with the swing arm movement. The others, including the Steamer, with the top mounted calipers have a "static" carrier as the torque arm is fixed directly to the swing arm. There's only a rubber bush in the caliper end fitting to damp out any vibration during braking. I recommend securing the screw with blue locking fluid or wiring it as it can work loose, don't ask me how I know  :icon_rolleyes:

If you want a spare original caliper carrier to play with just let me know, I have a few  :icon_redface:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Beernard

Thanks Sin.
They really are different birds. Your info is as correct as I can imagine. Perhaps mine hasn't been.
My gripe with the calliper mount is that it wears and becomes sloppy over here. Maybe the famous Aussie dust! The beautiful thing to me is that the connection to the axle (with the later mount) is much more secure, rigid and won't wear out in my lifetime. Better to use, IMO. Thousands of K's so far. Superior.
Regards,
Ripper, woke up again.

Sin_Tiger

It works and you have confidence in it, that's the main thing  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Beernard

Thanks Sin.  Merry Christmas.  :icon_salut:
Ripper, woke up again.

fishnbiker

I just caught up on this now. Seems a bit quiet here recently. Beernard, some good ideas to look at. Thanks.

I also am getting Black & Blue on my 95 Steamer. Converting it to original in Caspian Blue for a "Collector" plate with better insurance rates. Should have it running late this spring. Life gets in the way sometimes. Same colours for me too. Will post a new note when ready.

In the mean time, I see several of you here are in Eastern Oz. I'm living on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, & coming to a wedding in Brisbane Oct. 1st. Mount Tamborine for the ceremonies. Visiting family in Sunny Coast, Buderim. Also wanting to catch up with mates in Brissie & Cooma, NSW. Wondering if any along the way might care to meet up for a beverage & chat?

What my Tiger has pretty much looked like the past 20 years ...
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Sin_Tiger

Hi Ken, looking good (a bit too clean)  :thumbsup

fishnbiker

My Felix is now going into semi retirement, staying on the paved roads only. The dirt riding is now relegated to my Suzuki DR790 (ex 650) & a DR 350 SE, The larger for gravel touring & the 350 for local abandoned logging roads.

Felix is getting a facelift, returning to original configuration to advantage myself of some "Collector" rated Registration & insurance. Will end up in Caspian Blue. Still have most of the original parts so I could go back to black if I want.

Will then likely be selling off a lot of my upgrades that are visibly not original.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Beernard

Gday Fishnbiker.

Sounds like you are pretty well connected in OZ. However, it's a bit of a gap from Brisvegas to Cooma. Fortunately, if it is useful, Shirley and me live at Lake Cathie. Bahamas of the Mid North Coast! Just south of Port Macquarie. Anyway, we have an empty downstairs room you are welcome to crash in on your way to Cooma. Tiger Fraternity. Let us know if you would like to drop in.

Regards,

Bern and Shirl.
Ripper, woke up again.

fishnbiker

Thank you for the kind offer.  Will keep your info with my travel info.
Ken/Fishnbiker

Sin_Tiger

Just getting back to the centre stand stopper question.

The SW Motech version has stoppers built into the mounting plates on both sides as I hope is clear from the attached.

I don't have a factory one around that I can compare.

Madruss

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 12, 2021, 02:02:36 AMAre you talking about the genuine one or the SW Motech?
I think I was looking the SW Motech.
Centre stand is on the priority list once more, now the bike nearly rideable after the extended downtime  :icon_redface:
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

Madruss

Ok, the photo of the centre stand had not come up when I posted. :icon_redface:  It answers my question thank you. :thumbsup
I'd assume the price of these has had some extra diamonds added to the price nowadays :icon_rolleyes:
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

fishnbiker

Quote from: Beernard on March 12, 2022, 10:30:51 AMGday Fishnbiker.

Sounds like you are pretty well connected in OZ. However, it's a bit of a gap from Brisvegas to Cooma. Fortunately, if it is useful, Shirley and me live at Lake Cathie. Bahamas of the Mid North Coast! Just south of Port Macquarie. Anyway, we have an empty downstairs room you are welcome to crash in on your way to Cooma. Tiger Fraternity. Let us know if you would like to drop in.

Regards,

Bern and Shirl.

As much as I would love to take you up on your offer, it appears we are not coming to Oz this year. Physical injuries are keeping us closer to home now. Now on a list for back surgery. But, hoping to make a 6 monthiversary with the newlyweds. Maybe early next year?
Ken/Fishnbiker