News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The reveal: the new Tiger 1200!

Started by ghulst, December 07, 2021, 02:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

For those that errrr shall we say lead a sheltered life in motorcycling no doubt do wonder, but the same applies to manufacturers as much as individuals....what you know will take you so far...who know will take one a lot further, the Moto GP paddock will have been a revelation to Triumph....as one can see by their current crop of bikes and no doubt many to come.

And yes through one of those quirks in life I have seen the inner workings of the GP paddock 😳😳😳

ghulst

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 11, 2021, 05:02:20 PM
And yes through one of those quirks in life I have seen the inner workings of the GP paddock
That sounds like a real treat!
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Chris Canning

One of those quirks in life....it's a great story but sure as hell not one for the net.

ghulst

That is such a shame... ;) You are making me even more curious. :)

Bixxer Bob

Ghulst's comment about demographic is something I've wondered about.

I think someone with 20k to spend on a bike is probably either a successful businessman or woman, or just inherited the parents house having already spent the spouse's inheritance on the obligatory caravan or motorhome  :*&*
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ghulst

Thanks Bixxer Bob. And the one thing that BMW has always done very well, is to cater for that same businessman or woman. When I want to get myself a 1250GS, I can get it on financial lease for a 2% interest rate. Combined with the possibility to deduct all expenses (including interest) from my company revenues, makes buying a GS an easy choice without having much money tied up into one, unlike any other brand. The lease runs for three years, after which you can trade it in and have the same deal. As the trade-in price is always there, it actually gets cheaper after you have done your first one. I am always surprised why other brands do not offer an option like this. I do believe that it gets people to get more BMW's than other brands. (And I know quite a few business owners in my network that ride their bikes in this way.)

Bixxer Bob

As one thinking of setting up a business in the near future, that is very good news. Except I really don't want a BMW  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Good point. I've often thought that when buying anything on credit, we're not buying from a maker but actually buying from a finance company. In which case as a consumer we should actually be able to walk into a showroom and tell the sales person "I want this financial product and now I'll browse the machines" much like we do with white goods and furniture stores.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

There are pros and cons to this type of setup. However, when you are making an investment and your financing is tax deductible, it becomes a different story. This is not really buying on credit, for an entrepreneur financing motorcycles often is a valid business decision. After all, if you pay the bike, that influences your liquidity. At 2 or 3% against the current inflation rates, you are actually getting free money, and it's tax deductible. ;)

Nick Calne

The way money is at the moment is very weird.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Yep, that is true.

Fortunately, to distract us from all of that, there is a motorcycle test video out by Bike World and it seems to be worth it:

This also means that Triumph needs to pick up that business financing guantlet. ;)

Madruss

Quote from: ghulst on March 22, 2022, 03:38:03 PMYep, that is true.

This also means that Triumph needs to pick up that business financing guantlet. ;)

Exactly how Yamaha sell bikes in Australia, by the boat load
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!

ghulst

Here BMW Netherlands has you pay 33% up front, then finance 33% and then pay 33% at the end. The 33% that's financed goes at a very low percentage. During covid BMW Bank did it at 1%, at the moment it sits at 4.8% where all other motorcycle financing at other banks is currently at 9 or 10%. That pulls in a lot of customers. Especially business customers. And BMW NL makes as much money with BMW Bank as it does selling bikes. ;) If Triumph would be doing that, they might become more equal in sales as well. ;)